Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > fizzy beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
hopsalot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default fizzy beer

I brewed an extrach IPA it had 2 cans of amber malt extract, it also had some roasted wood chips added into the fermenter. Also whne I transfered into the fermenter there was quite a burn mark at the bottom, consequently the color of the IPA if far from pale, it is very amber. I let it to ferment for 2 weeks in the primary. Some are good some are different very inconsistent at that. I have had a few that turn straight into fiz when sipped, has this happened to anybody else. If I need to supply more info just let me know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

um...what are you trying to find out? I don't follow....

Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Did you mix up the priming liquid before bottling? You want the priming sugar to be thoroughly mixed before bottling. That sounds like the issue to me...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive21
Did you mix up the priming liquid before bottling? You want the priming sugar to be thoroughly mixed before bottling. That sounds like the issue to me...
Yeah, I was hoping that you would have an interesting flavor profile to report from the burn. That happened to me a time or two and actually resulted in an interesting beer.

Nothing done prior to bottling would produce those results. Priming sugar should be dissolved in boiling water and then put into the bottling bucket before the beer. Rack the beer onto the sugar water primer and it will mix perfectly every time.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
hopsalot
Recipes 

Default fizz

The burn gives it a good taste you can still taste IPA style from the hops but other than that it tastes like an amber ale with a coffe off taste almost choclately. its just tooo fizzy, and suggestions

Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

How much priming sugar did you use, and how much water did you boil it in? And lastly, how did you mix it into the bottling bucket. If you answer those questions, I'll have lots of suggestions, I think.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
hopsalot
Recipes 

I believe it was one ounce of priming sugar, it came with a kit, I boiled it in a cup of water and then mixed when there was just a little bit of wort in the bottling bucket. It seemed to mix up evenly but my auto syphon was getting wood chips stuck in it and the flow was rather slow and unsteady. The beer is good really good I had a long "research and development" meeting with about 8 brews, some were just very fizzy, in the whole batch I have had 2 that just started to foam out of the bottle mixing up all the yeast at the bottom. I was very careful when opening not to disturb any thing. If you can help let me know untill then I will be taking more detailed notes on brew day to ensure quality and consistency.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Brew notes are always a good thing..

How long has it been bottled?

Old 11-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsalot
I believe it was one ounce of priming sugar, it came with a kit, I boiled it in a cup of water and then mixed when there was just a little bit of wort in the bottling bucket. It seemed to mix up evenly but my auto syphon was getting wood chips stuck in it and the flow was rather slow and unsteady. The beer is good really good I had a long "research and development" meeting with about 8 brews, some were just very fizzy, in the whole batch I have had 2 that just started to foam out of the bottle mixing up all the yeast at the bottom. I was very careful when opening not to disturb any thing. If you can help let me know untill then I will be taking more detailed notes on brew day to ensure quality and consistency.

One ounce seems low for a 5 gallon batch, most kits I've seen have a 5 ounce package of priming sugar.

When I rack to my bottling bucket I have a hose that reaches all the way to the bottom of the bucket and points to the side so that I get a nice swirling action. If your running straight down the side of the bottling bucket it might not be getting mixed well.

Alternatively, (and less likely) maybe not all of your bottles were as clean/sanitized as you thought and possibly a few bottles have an infection.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 11-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I'm bottling today (actually in about 10 minutes) and this is the exact technique I use:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-3.html

(and careful notes are very important, not just to see what you may have done wrong, but so you can replicate what you may have done right!)

Quick Reply