Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fixing a High Temperature During Bottle Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
ryanstewart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fixing a High Temperature During Bottle Conditioning

Hey all,

I bottled my first batch a week ago and had them in a place that I thought would be around the same temperatures I did the rest of the batch (~68 degrees). But unfortunately we had a bit of a heatwave and I was on vacation so this week the bottles have been sitting in some pretty hot weather (upwards of 80-85 degrees). How much is that going to damage the beer and is there anything I can do to help it?

Thanks very much in advance.

=Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Don't worry about it....temp control is really only crucial in the first 24-36 hours of PRIMARY fermentation...That's when off flavors from the yeasts can develop...bottle storage/conditioning temps really aren't something to worry about...If you can get them into the 70's that's optimum...but no harm will come if they are not.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
ryanstewart
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Don't worry about it....temp control is really only crucial in the first 24-36 hours of PRIMARY fermentation...That's when off flavors from the yeasts can develop...bottle storage/conditioning temps really aren't something to worry about...If you can get them into the 70's that's optimum...but no harm will come if they are not.

I always love reading your posts Revvy. Makes me worry a little less.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Quick Reply