HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fittings for Cornelious "Used" Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
buckley28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fittings for Cornelious "Used" Kegs

So I was able to purchase 3 used cornelious kegs. The stems were not worth a damn so I needed to remove them to clean but realized its probably better to just go ahead and buy new ones. Only problem is each keg seems to have a different set of stems. After some research I have found that I will need the following stems:
Keg #1 & 2- Seems to be the Firestone style
Keg #3 - Seems to be the Spartenburg style

I've noticed that the Firestone ones, when researching to purchase, say
"For older Firestone Challenger (no V or VI imprint) and John Wood 85 ball-lock kegs (beer side pictured). Includes needed 7/16” tall by 5/8” wide white nylon insert. Does not fit older Firestone kegs with ‘racetrack’ (not oval) or round lids, unless they are marked ‘Challenger’. These feature 11/16-18 threads"

I suppose my question is, how do I know if these will fit w/ out spending money? Is there a way to tell?
Also, I think I know this answer, should I replace the internal plastic stems on the beer side as well as the SS dip tube?
Last but not least do the new stems come w/ new poppets or do I need ot purchse new ones for both of the style stems I need?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Try this web site

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

You could always take your posts to the local HBS and compare. The posts should come complete with poppets.

There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball.
Bill Veeck

Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
MannyZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I recently ordered this Type A Keg Post from NB for my Spartanburg Challenger 'VI'. Fits perfect and came with a poppet valve. Their other keg post listings appear to incule a poppet as well.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/plug-assembly-liq-type-a-challenger-v-vi.html

Williams Brewing carries the smaller plastic gas dip tubes, although I've read you can drill out the hole in the keg to fit the wider stainless variety.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TAPERED-PLASTIC-GAS-DIP-TUBE-P2570C78.aspx

You can clean your stainless dip tubes with one of these. No need to replace.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dip-tube-brush.html

Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
buckley28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Try this web site

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

You could always take your posts to the local HBS and compare. The posts should come complete with poppets.
Outstanding info. Exactly what I needed. Thanks bud.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
chickypad
lupulin shift victim

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Are the posts bent or mangled in some way? I've rarely had to replace the whole post, usually just poppets or o-rings, and the occasional plastic dip tube on those older Firestone kegs.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
buckley28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad
Are the posts bent or mangled in some way? I've rarely had to replace the whole post, usually just poppets or o-rings, and the occasional plastic dip tube on those older Firestone kegs.
Not really but it appears that on four of them someone used something other then the correct wrench to unscrew them so they look like hell. I was thinking of just getting the guts and new O rings but I do know that the ball lock attachments are sometimes difficult to remove after installation. So wth might as well just go for broke and get all new stuff.

Quick Reply