First Timer and Carbing is a Mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishhead202

Reaction score
This is my first brew. Skipped bottles and went right to kegging. Still working on the fridge, so right now it's at room temp. Been carbing at 15psi for about a week and a half. I bumped it to 30psi for a day when I couldn't get anything going. I'm using the little plastic dispenser, so don't know if I'm pouring wrong also. Here's what I'm getting:

-about 3/4 is head
-the head is very creamy, and once it's sat for a minute gets a thicker
-consistency and almost cracks like a layer of more solid on the foam
very little carbonation of the beer.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the help!

I appreciate the link, and have looked at that chart. While the chart isn't meant to be exact, after this long, I should be close to fully carbed.

Room temperature requires a much higher PSI. Your 30psi would get you there, but not in 24 hours.

Additionally, that higher pressure is going to put your system out of balance. (If you have 30PSI going in, you need approximately 30PSI of resistance from the beer line going out.) An out of balance system results in foam.

Are you planning on serving your beer warm? If so, you may need longer lines. Otherwise, wait until you have the fridge and your beer is cold before you worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You're getting all foam because you're dispensing warm. You have to account for that like said above.

Back