Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First time kegging question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
zach1288
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default First time kegging question

I kegged my first beer today and had some questions. I set the regulator to 10 psi and pulled the relief valve 3-4 times to push out the oxygen. Then I put the keg and tank into the fridge and set it to 20psi. I check the pressure a few minutes later and it was at 22psi. So i turned it back down to 20psi. I just checked it again and it dropped to 18psi. Why is the co2 fluctuating? Is it because the temperature is dropping in the keg?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think you are observing Boyle's law in action. Looks to me you are doing everything right. Shake the keg a couple times a day (you will hear the gas flowing) to speed up the carbonation process if you like.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1288 View Post
I kegged my first beer today and had some questions. I set the regulator to 10 psi and pulled the relief valve 3-4 times to push out the oxygen. Then I put the keg and tank into the fridge and set it to 20psi. I check the pressure a few minutes later and it was at 22psi. So i turned it back down to 20psi. I just checked it again and it dropped to 18psi. Why is the co2 fluctuating? Is it because the temperature is dropping in the keg?
It could be just a new regulator. It seems like it "floats" a bit when brand new. Just keep checking on it, and resetting it, and it should be ok.

and, don't shake the keg! Unless you like foamy beer and the possibility of beer backing up into your brand new regulator!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
People Like This 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
lwlampy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Yes it will fluctuate because of the temp. I wouldn't worry about it that much, just don't over carbonate it. I usually set my regulator for 10 psi for 7 days then back down to 6 psi for serving. I have had great luck doing it this way and have good carbonation for my taste. If I am anxious, I will set my regulator up to 30 psi for 3 days then back down to 6 psi for serving. You have to be careful that you don't over carbonate it this way because it's tough to de-carbonate! The 7 days @ 10 psi is probably the safest and most reliable method, but be sure to turn it down after you reach the carbonation that you prefer, or it will over carbonate at this pressure too! I have used this method for a few years! Hope this helps! Happy brewing!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
lwlampy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

They are both right, you can shake the keg to carb it faster, but you can have it back up in your gas line! I've done them both! LOL I try to relieve the pressure and unhook the gas before turning down the regulator so it doesn't back up.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
zach1288
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My pressure is now level but I seem to be loosing psi in the tank. It was 800 at the beginning of the day and now it's almost down to 600? I have checked all the connections and they are tight. I have the liquid line attached, is that correct? Should I carbonate with the liquid line off?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
lwlampy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It will do that when you put it in the fridge. A newly filled tank will read in the red in a day or two. Not to worry. The gas is contracting. I usually carbonate mine with the liquid line off until I'm ready to test the carbonation. If I'm carbonating at a high pressure, I'll drop it down before I hook up the beer line. It might foam at first, but let it sit for a bit and you can see your bubbles in your beer.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
lwlampy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's a good article to explain better than I can, http://www.learntobrew.com/page/1lxr...ow_To_Keg.html

Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
zach1288
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlampy View Post
It will do that when you put it in the fridge. A newly filled tank will read in the red in a day or two. Not to worry. The gas is contracting. I usually carbonate mine with the liquid line off until I'm ready to test the carbonation. If I'm carbonating at a high pressure, I'll drop it down before I hook up the beer line. It might foam at first, but let it sit for a bit and you can see your bubbles in your beer.
Will it hurt leaving the liquid line attached?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
lwlampy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It shouldn't, I've done it several times. I just kegged my Vanilla Porter a couple days ago @ 30 psi and checked it yesterday. I had a little bit of a mess because my beer line was not real tight so I unplugged it until today when I could clean it up. That would be my only worry is blowing off the line.

Quick Reply