Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > first time kegging help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 106

You can use this carbonation chart to see what temp and pressure you want to keep things at. 7-10 psi would be too little carbonation for my system, as I keep the kegerator at about 41 degrees. For set and forget method you just hook it up to this pressure and temp and it will be carbonated in about 2 wks. To have it ready sooner you need to crank up the pressure for a day or two as others mentioned. This may take some practice as you risk over shooting and getting over carbed beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
jaw005
Recipes 

I have my co2 tank in the fridge with the kegs. is it normal for the gauge to be in the red saying almost empty after less than 24 hours? or is there a leak someone? iv read that the gauge really isn't that reliable and it reads less when cold and that a 5# tank should last a few kegs. just a little worried since its my first time

Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
mpop
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw005 View Post
I have my co2 tank in the fridge with the kegs. is it normal for the gauge to be in the red saying almost empty after less than 24 hours? or is there a leak someone? iv read that the gauge really isn't that reliable and it reads less when cold and that a 5# tank should last a few kegs. just a little worried since its my first time
That's nothing to worry about, that gauge is only accurate at room temperature (tank outside the fridge). If you set your tank outside the keezer that gauge will be a little more accurate. You have nothing to worry about if you can purge co2 from a keg and it refills right away.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop View Post
that gauge is only accurate at room temperature (tank outside the fridge). If you set your tank outside the keezer that gauge will be a little more accurate.
The gauge is accurate in both cases. The pressure in the tank does drop with temperature, but the capacity is the same. Regardless of temperature, the only way to know how much CO2 is left is to weigh the tank.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1561 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 2657

the only way to know how much CO2 is left is to weigh the tank.
There should be a tare weight stamped in the tank.

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you’re allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It’s like killing yourself, and then you’re reborn. I guess I’ve lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

~ Charles Bukowski,

Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
jaw005
Recipes 

i cant seem to find the tare weight anywhere on my co2 tank. anyone know what the average weight of one is? a steel 5# tank

Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 830 Posts

12 pounds for steel, 7.5 pounds for aluminum...

Cheers!

Quick Reply