Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > first time kegging help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
jaw005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first time kegging help

just kegged for the first time! we did it today and want to have it ready for Saturday. any help on carbing it and psi would be awesome. not to sure what to do next. do i leave it in the kegerator with the co2 tank on for the whole week? or just a few times a week?
thanks for all your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1561 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 2660

A week in the fridge at serving pressure you should be good, did you seal and purge the keg with co2?

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you’re allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It’s like killing yourself, and then you’re reborn. I guess I’ve lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

~ Charles Bukowski,

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
gdbrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

To add to what chef said, you can try it on Friday and if you think it is still a little flat you can bump the pressure up to maybe 15 to 20 psi over the night. I doubt you will have to though.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
jaw005
Recipes 

what exactly do you mean by seal and purge?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw005 View Post
what exactly do you mean by seal and purge?
Seal and purge means you put the lid on the keg, pressurize it with co2, vent it back out with the vent on the lid or by depressing the co2 Poppit, and pressurizing the keg again. You should repeat the process a couple times to flush the o2 out of the keg.

If your keg doesn't have a vent in the lid you can vent through the co2 poppit, it's the little button on the gas in post. Just press it down with your thumb or whatever works. Make sure you don't do this to the beer in post because, as the name suggests, beer will come out.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
jaw005
Recipes 

i got ball lock kegs. so i should pressurize it, then vent it all out a few times. then leave it in the kegerator for a week with the co2 set at around 7-10psi? sound about right? how long will the 5# tank last?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
brew_ny
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 565

2 days at 20 psi then release some pressure and then 1 day at 7-10 psi and you are good to go

at about 34 degrees

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!

Recipes 

As long as you have no leaks 5 lbs will last quite a while. When you seal the keg hold the lid in place then apply co2 to the tank and let the pressure seal the keg, a little keg lube helps too, then throw the bale over then burp it a few times.
I usually do about 10 to 12 psi.
Enjoy

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you’re allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It’s like killing yourself, and then you’re reborn. I guess I’ve lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

~ Charles Bukowski,

Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew_ny View Post
2 days at 20 psi then release some pressure and then 1 day at 7-10 psi and you are good to go

at about 34 degrees
There are quite a few ways to do it, experiment and see what works for you but a week is plenty of time.

~ Charles Bukowski,

Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
brew_ny
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRex View Post
There are quite a few ways to do it, experiment and see what works for you but a week is plenty of time.
that is about it finding out what works for you and your setup

all the best and enjoy the day

S_M

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.

Quick Reply