The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First time kegging and force carbing, any tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Frankfurtvr4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First time kegging and force carbing, any tips?

My kegs are due to arrive this afternoon according to UPS. I have my hoses, regulator and CO2 standing by. Any tips or advice on these first two kegs? One is an Amber Ale the other is a Porter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 509

Hit em with at least 30lbs to seal good. I use a sprayer with soapy water to check for leaks. Some gasket lube is good to solve small leaks. Reduce the pressure once they are sealed good. Set to serving pressure and forget works always. Force carbing is iffy but I do it sometimes.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
vtbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I force carb by setting the regulator to 30 psi and shaking the keg for 2 minutes. Then I pop the pressure relief valve and set the regulator to 12 psi. I drink a sample and then wait another day before drinking it. It isn't perfect but it usually is by day 3 or 4 this way.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Hit em with at least 30lbs to seal good. I use a sprayer with soapy water to check for leaks. Some gasket lube is good to solve small leaks. Reduce the pressure once they are sealed good. Set to serving pressure and forget works always. Force carbing is iffy but I do it sometimes.

This is what I do. Works great everytime. Gasket lube is your friend!

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 06-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
mh-brews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ive tried the shaking thing 5 times and it didnt work. i dont know why it didnt work but i ended up just set the pressure according to the homebrew book i have (its based on temp and style) and waitied 2 weeks.

best advice is patience!

find us on face book MH-BREWS

Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Geoff
Recipes 

I'm fairly new to kegging too, with just two batches brewed, kegged and nearly gone (so can't be too bad). I think I went overkill on these first two; I both gave 'em 30 psi/rocked them for 15 min, AND left them at 30 for two days and reduced to 12 psi. They were pretty darned foamy; a gently-tilted pitcher would be 3/4 head, so took some patience to serve (and filling a growler was nearly impossible). I think for the next keg, I'll forego the rocking and just do two days at 30 and see how it comes out.

I have a sidebar question about carbonating on- and off-line...does the rule of thumb of 2 days at 30, then reducing to 12 apply if the keg isn't hooked up to the gas? I have a dual-tap kegerator, with 2 active kegs on; if I want to have another keg on deck and ready to drink, will giving it 30 and then taking it off the gas require more than 2 days to get to drinking carb? I'm no scientist, but I imagine that when the gas goes into solution, the "head" pressure will decrease...true?

Last edited by Geoff; 06-25-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I have a sidebar question about carbonating on- and off-line...does the rule of thumb of 2 days at 30, then reducing to 12 apply if the keg isn't hooked up to the gas? I have a dual-tap kegerator, with 2 active kegs on; if I want to have another keg on deck and ready to drink, will giving it 30 and then taking it off the gas require more than 2 days to get to drinking carb? I'm no scientist, but I imagine that when the gas goes into solution, the "head" pressure will decrease...true?
I'm not a scientist either, but as I understand it when you pull a keg off gas it's carb level remains more or less where it was when you pulled it off the gas. What gets the C02 into the beer is the constant level of pressure on the surface of the beer. A little bit will be absorbed, but not an appreciable amount. If you want to get the C02 in faster you need to either increase pressure at the regulator or increase the surface area of the head of the beer which you can do by shaking the keg.

I also have just two tap handles to work with at a time. When I have a beer ready to keg and I know I won't have a serving tap available for a couple weeks I'll add some corn sugar to get some natural carbonation from the yeast at room temperature. Essentially it's bottle conditioning in a really big bottle. Then when one of my serving kegs kicks I can hook the new beer and it will already be carbed, I only have to wait for the new keg to get cold. I'll usually shoot to have it just a touch undercarbed since it seems to be easier to increase carbonation in kegs than it is to lower it. This method is documented in Complete Joy of Homebrewing.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Geoff
Recipes 

Good info, Crispy, thanks. So is there any qualitative difference between natural carbing and force carbing, to your taste? How much corn sugar do you put into a 5-gal keg to bring it up to a conservative carb level, and how long do you give it?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Sure, CO2 is CO2 - it has no idea how it got there. You might have some more sediment at the bottom (the same way your bottled homebrews do), but that'll get drawn off in the first pint. After that you should get great clarity. Papazian recommends 1/3 of a cup of corn sugar per 5 gallon corny - I'd start there.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
PartyBible
Recipes 

All I do is pressurize to 12 psi. No shaking, priming sugar, or 30 psi blasts. I far. Dual tap system with a single reg that runs to 2 valves then to the kegs. The only problem I have had is sediment when I don't 2ndary.

Quick Reply