Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > first time kegging, co2 out overnight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
ong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just got my kegging setup, and just lost two tanks worth of gas! Three things in my case: one of the kegs has a bum gas poppet and is leaking; one of the gas connections (regulator to keg line) needed to be tightened a lot; and three, I didn't really understand that you need pressure to seal the keg lid BEFORE you lock it down. Hopefully I got everything this time....

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
Refill your tank and hook it back up. Turn the pressure to about 30 psi and spray soapy water on all of the fittings and connections. (Tank, hoses at both ends, quick connects and keg posts)

I put a brand new 4 way manifold into my keezer when I built it and lost about half of a 20lb tank over night. I did the soapy water trick and found that I had a bad relief valve. I replaced the relief valve with a plug and then found out that all of the brass connections on my manifold were leaking. I had to take it apart, re-tape it and tighten it all back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ong View Post
I just got my kegging setup, and just lost two tanks worth of gas! Three things in my case: one of the kegs has a bum gas poppet and is leaking; one of the gas connections (regulator to keg line) needed to be tightened a lot; and three, I didn't really understand that you need pressure to seal the keg lid BEFORE you lock it down. Hopefully I got everything this time....
Wow, two pretty bad cases of bad luck...

I did get a new manifold recently. I inspected it before going to use it for the first time. Didn't see any Teflon tape on the threaded connections, so I took it apart and added the tape. I also decided to modify it so that I could use a standard gas QD to connect it to a second manifold. I made SURE all the threaded fittings were in nice and tight before going to use it. It's been working like a champ from day one after that. I also altered another (two port) manifold so that I could use the same gas QD connection to go to the other one. Really like that option. Oh, and I put a gas post on the inlet side of the 3 port, so I don't need to do anything different to connect one of my CO2 regulators to it. I'm thinking about getting another manifold (3 or 4 port) and doing the same thing with it. It really helps since I'm carbonating kegs in the basement. This way I can have pretty much ALL my spare kegs on CO2 carbonating (at least partially) while the brew fridge is full.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
tservice
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Use a spray bottle with water and dish soap in it. With the co2 turned on, spray all connections with it. If there is a leak you will see bubbles form. Where there is bubbles there is a leak.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also, for giggles, check the liquid posts after you've charged your system. Make SURE you don't see any beer weeping from them. If you do, depressurize the keg and inspect the o-ring on the dip tube. If it looks worn (at all) change it. Very few things are worse than going to pull a pint of a really nice brew only to get air (or nothing since the CO2 tank is empty again). It gets worse when you open the brew fridge/keezer to find all the beer inside it.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #15
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Wow, two pretty bad cases of bad luck...

I did get a new manifold recently. I inspected it before going to use it for the first time. Didn't see any Teflon tape on the threaded connections, so I took it apart and added the tape. I also decided to modify it so that I could use a standard gas QD to connect it to a second manifold. I made SURE all the threaded fittings were in nice and tight before going to use it. It's been working like a champ from day one after that. I also altered another (two port) manifold so that I could use the same gas QD connection to go to the other one. Really like that option. Oh, and I put a gas post on the inlet side of the 3 port, so I don't need to do anything different to connect one of my CO2 regulators to it. I'm thinking about getting another manifold (3 or 4 port) and doing the same thing with it. It really helps since I'm carbonating kegs in the basement. This way I can have pretty much ALL my spare kegs on CO2 carbonating (at least partially) while the brew fridge is full.
I tested mine with soapy water before I lost it all. The leak in the relief valve didn't bubble because of the way it was built. I only saw it when I removed the manifold from the wall of the keezer. When I found it, I replaced the valve with a plug and turned on the gas again. That's when I found the other leaks. Apparently the relief valve was leaking bad enough that there wasn't enough pressure to see the other leaks. After I got it all taped and tightened up it's been good.

I guess sometimes you can do things "right" and still have things go wrong

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #16
finlayj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So many things to do! Thanks for all the help.

Once I full up I'll be sure to let everyone know what worked.

Appreciate it

Primary: none
Secondary: Pumpkin Porter
Bottled: Dunkle, English Bitter, Imperial Blonde Ale, Chocolate Maple Porter, Edwort's Apfelwein.
On Deck: Belgian Tripel and Everyday IPA

Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #17
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts

Good luck.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

None of my manifolds have relief valves. I have those on the kegs. I got the manifolds in my brew fridge (and almost my entire CO2 system) from Keg Connection. Great people there, who really help out their customers either to figure out what to get, or how to trouble shoot if something's going sideways and you can't figure out why. Plus, they can special order things not on their site if you ask (I have, and do).

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
onthedot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had an elusive leak I could never find in one of my five kegs.

I ended up filling a trash can full of water and dipping each pressurized keg completely underneath. Fixed the leaks I found.

Then, I replaced all the post o-rings, added some keg lube to the disconnects and started pressurizing each keg and disconnecting it for one day. If it still has pressure after 24 hours, I hook it up - otherwise, I know to avoid it.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedot View Post
I had an elusive leak I could never find in one of my five kegs.

I ended up filling a trash can full of water and dipping each pressurized keg completely underneath. Fixed the leaks I found.

Then, I replaced all the post o-rings, added some keg lube to the disconnects and started pressurizing each keg and disconnecting it for one day. If it still has pressure after 24 hours, I hook it up - otherwise, I know to avoid it.
Hope you pressure tested empty kegs.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply