Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First time bottling with corn sugar.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
jk80104
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First time bottling with corn sugar.

Once I boil the sugar and cool it can I just gently mix into my racked beer? I didn't really wanna move it all into another bucket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Well, yes, but what about all the trub on the bottom of the fermenter? If you mix it up enough to mix the priming solution in well, you'll stir up all of the trub and crap that you don't want in your bottles, as well as risk aerating/oxidizing the beer besides.

If you don't want to rack to a bottling bucket, you could just siphon directly to the bottles, and use those "carbonation" tablets. That's the only way I could see avoiding the bottling bucket working.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
jk80104
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Well, yes, but what about all the trub on the bottom of the fermenter? If you mix it up enough to mix the priming solution in well, you'll stir up all of the trub and crap that you don't want in your bottles, as well as risk aerating/oxidizing the beer besides.

If you don't want to rack to a bottling bucket, you could just siphon directly to the bottles, and use those "carbonation" tablets. That's the only way I could see avoiding the bottling bucket working.
Good point! Ok thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
squigley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're saying "racked beer," so I assume you're already planning to rack it from the fermentation vessel/carboy to a bottling bucket. If that's the case, just pour the corn sugar solution into the bucket before racking the beer. Then when you rack the beer into the bottling bucket (carefully), the wort will mix evenly with the corn sugar. I wouldn't add the sugar last, because then you'd actually have to stir/mix it to ensure it's evenly mixed.

If you're going from carboy directly to bottle...I guess the carbonation tabs would be the only way. I'd certainly recommend going to a bottling bucket, though. It will ensure even mixture of the sugar, and any trub that gets sucked up (there will be some for sure) will be mixed evenly in all the bottles, instead of highly concentrated in just a few bottles.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

That makes sense. I added sugar to my secondary fermenter, stirred it up and then bottled twice. Out of 52 bottles, 10 were over-carbonated and would overflow when opened, even after 3-4 weeks of conditioning.

Racking back one more time would be worth the extra 5 or 10 minutes that it would take to ensure a more even distribution of sugar.

Quick Reply