LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Sun Devil
-
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default First time bottling

I've been brewing for several years and have always kegged my beer and force carbonated with CO2. On my last bacth, an all grain IIPA, I bottle 6 12oz bottles and transferred the rest to the keg as usual. I primed the bottles with 1 coopers carbonation drop and then let sit at about 75 F for 2 weeks. I tried one tonight and it is flat, does it just need more time or is it something else? Primary on this beer went 1 week and I left it in seconday for 4 weeks. Majority of fermentation was at 68 F and at the end of secondary I dropped the temp to about 60 F. I wouldn't think that all of my yeast was completely out of suspension. OG was 1.077 and TG was 1.016.

Any ideas? All my kegged beer is great but I'd like to be able to store some / give some away without have to buy the equipment to bottle out of the keg.

Thanks,
Sun Devil

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

21 days at 70 degrees is the mantra, I wouldn't worry until after 3 weeks. Give it 1 more week and then see if its still flat.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I would give it more time. 4 weeks in secondary at a cooler temperature probably dropped most of the yeast out but I would think there should be enough to eventually carbonate the bottles. You will also need to keep the bottles in a warmer location until they are conditioned.

Why not just bottle some from the keg after it has fully carbonated? It is fairly easy to do and much faster.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Sun Devil
-

Recipes 

I've read about several different methods of bottling from the keg, which one works best for you?

Quick Reply