Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First kegged batch, does this sound right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
BFauska
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First kegged batch, does this sound right?

I am about to keg my fist batch of beer. I want to cask condition (which I think is how I say carbonate by priming and letting the yeast do it's thing in the keg.) I have been in the primary for about 1 month, I decided to skip the secondary. When I rack, do I need to use a "bottling bucket" or can I just put the priming solution right into the keg and rack onto that? I think I have read that I want to purge the keg with CO2 before racking, and then when the keg is full use a little pressure to seat the lid and avoid oxidation, I figure 10psi. I don't have my keggerator yet so I was going to be conditioning at room temp 65-72. I know that I'll likely have some sediment at the bottom of the keg, and therefore in the first few pints, but I can live with that.

Am I missing any thing or going down the wrong path in some way? Thanks for all the help, this forum has been a wealth of information so far, and everybody seems great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

you dont need to use a bottling bucket. Just add the priming solution to the keg, and rack on top of it. Everything else sounds right on.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
BFauska
Recipes 

Cool, I'm going to go pressure test my free keg right now.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

This wouldn't be cask conditioned, that term is "reserved" for ales that are not carbonated. What you're doing is bulk conditioning with natural carbonation. I do about half of my ales that way.

Why bottle conditioned is carbonated and cask conditioned isn't? I can't say anything other than "Tradition, TRADITION!"

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

No real need to purge the keg before you fill.

Hook up the CO2 after you've filled and lidded. Pull the release valve a few times to purge the O2 out at that point.

Leave about 15-20 pounds of CO2 in the keg, disconnect and condition at around 70 degrees.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You may have to bump the pressure up to 20psi or more to get that stupid lid to seal. Then drop it back to down with the release valve a bit. Make sure you have the gas line on the in side, otherwise changing pressure can push beer into your gas tubing.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 12-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I also just got my first set of kegs and have noticed that the lid on one is loose while the other closes tightly? i assume that is normal and the loose one will seal once i hook up some CO2?

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 12-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #8
BFauska
Recipes 

So I've just cleaned and sanitized my keg and siphon and other goodies, but... I don't have the CO2 and regulator at home yet. Would it be tragic to put everything into the keg tonight and bump it up to pressure tomorrow night? I am just being lazy, but I don't want to sanitize my racking equipment again tomorrow. I figure it would be about 20 hours in the keg with what feels like a good seal but it would be sitting under air not CO2 and it may not quite seat the lid w/o the CO2. I would imagine that worst case is that I somehow screw up the carbonation and have to force it later, but I could be wrong. There shouldn't be any contamination since the beer will be pushing out some CO2 to blanket the top of it soon anyway.

Also, I tried to search, but apparently "Keg" is either too common or too short for a search here, how much sugar do I need to use when naturally carbonating in the keg? I've seen mention all over the place of needing less in the keg, but no links to any sort of system to figure it out. I'm using corn sugar and the recipe calls for 3/4cup for bottling, but only mentions force carbonating for kegs. The keg will be at about 70deg. F.

Any advice for an impatient, lazy noob?

Old 12-18-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't worry about it sitting in the keg overnight. About 5 ounces of sugar is right regardless of keg or bottle. If it turns out to be too much, it won't matter because eventually you'll be venting it and hooking it up to CO2 for serving. If it's overcarbed, just keep venting the degassed CO2 out of the keg until you get the level you want.

Also, loose keg lids are a sign that the big o-ring that seals the lid is worn out. It may seal, but it will likely be at least a tiny bit leaky. To check, pressurize the keg to 25psi, then disconnect the gas. release the pressure using the blowoff valve. Lower the pressure to approx. 12psi and reconnect the keg. Listen to the regulator and you should hear some gas movement then it should stop completely. Also, spread some soapy water over the lid and look for bubbles. If it's leaking at all, replace the gasket. Even if you get it to stop by messing around with it, it will leak again, and right at the beginning of a party, you'll figure out that your tank is empty party over

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 12-18-2007, 04:23 AM   #10
BFauska
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. The important one ended up being the quantity of sugar, because I went back to work to borrow the CO2 tank and regulator.

It's time to prime and keg. Wahoo!!!

Quick Reply