First keg purchase - did I get a dud? (KegConnection)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahave

Reaction score
Hello there, first post yet long time lurker of these forums...

So I made the dive into kegging with a dual keg/reg kit from keg connection. I have no complaints other than one of the posts seems to have a hit mark and oring damage. I know KC sells the kegs as 'used' but this damage will actually cause it to not hold pressure if the valve does not seat correctly - which goes against their term of 'these tanks hold pressure'

For example: I can pressurize the tank, remove the gas line and all will be fine. If i press down on the valve (i have ball locks) i can get some gas to come out. When I release my finger I can still hear a slight hiss and this will continue until the keg is empty. I have also recently found out that I can get a leak if the gas IN line is wiggled - which has me concerned with a leak that can result in an empty tank!

I have attached photos.
Hmm.. cant figure out how to attach...
http://img50.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pa120395.jpg

Is it typical to see this type of damage on KC ball lock kegs?
Should this warrant a complaint/return?

Thanks in advance

I would just contact them, they will make it right. They are active here as well, but send them an e-mail with the picture and this exact description and they will probably send you a new gas connection.

Have you changed the o-rings and/or applied lubricant?

If the dented post is causing a poor seal, I would call Ben or Todd and ask them to send you a replacement post.

I don't get why this thread was made prior to contacting the vendor directly.

+1060 to the advice above....

Have you tried any rebuild of he keg on your own yet?

I suggest you do the build so you know how it goes together and any quirks in the parts you may see. Every keg problem I've found so far IME has been related to the age and condition of the various o-rings. I keep a number of them on hand for just such events.

KC should make it right, if not I suggest trying http://www.CHICompany.net next time....

As everyone mentioned, Keg Connections came through. A simple phone call fixed "made it right".

And yes, I should have just contact KC first. I suppose I was not aware of their return/customer satisfaction policy.

When the new post arrives... how easy is it to swap? I currently have 5 gals aging, should I rack to a new keg? or could I swap out the posts without risking infection.

I bet if you send that pic to Kegconnection, they would send you a replacement post for it. it is not uncommon for them to have some scratches or scuffs, or to have to replace the orings on a fresh used keg.

When the new post arrives... how easy is it to swap? I currently have 5 gals aging, should I rack to a new keg? or could I swap out the posts without risking infection.

Glad to hear Ben/Todd took care of ya! They really do go out of their way to correct any problems.

Sure, you can swap out a gas post with beer still in the keg, but I wouldn't recommend swapping a liquid post because you really need to hold the dip tube as you tighten the post with a wrench. Just be sure to vent the keg and sanitize the fittings before you install them.

Back