HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First Cage and Cork - Cork to tight to remove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
pcancila
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Cage and Cork - Cork to tight to remove

First cage and cork, did a Belgium strong ale, bottle conditioned for about 8 weeks and when i tried my first bottle i couldn't get the cork out. I ended up having to use a combination of a wine opener, hand towel and two arms two legs to pop the cork out. I thought i did everything right, cork was set at right height to get a good fit under the cage. I reused Belgium bottles previously enjoyed so only thing i can think of is corks are too big?????

Any tips for next time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

How was the carb level? That is supposed to help push the cork out.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
pcancila
Recipes 

Carb level was high, if anything i thought i carbed too much. Only thing i noticed compared to other cage and corks that i have had is the the cork was very dry. I feel like most corks that i have removed from Belgium bottles are a little wet of damp and slid out of the bottles. Maybe over time the corks will absorb moisture?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Eight weeks? Totally not long enough. My golden strong ale is just now coming into it's own and I bottled it in October. I couldn't get the corks out the first few weeks. They don't exactly "pop" ou tlike champagne now, but I can work them out with a tea towel for grip.

Carb level should also be very high. What seems high after eight weeks will "settle" into the beer somewhat.

Most importantly, how's it taste?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Belgian corks should be about ~25mm, champagne corks are ~31mm. I suppose it is possible you have the wrong corks. If you have a un-used one measure it.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
pcancila
Recipes 

measure it i will when i get home! it fit the cage good though from what i remember, but i will definitely measure

Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
surfingpl
Recipes 

I am having the exact same issue right now. I just opened the first one tonight, I used a pair of channel locks to loosen the cork then it came out pretty easy, but no way it was gonna move without some real leverage. I used these corks from B3:

corks here

It's a rye saison, and it is carbed up nicely. It's only been in the bottles for 3 weeks, but I can't imagine it getting too much more carbonation? The beer tastes fantastic btw, maybe my best ever. I was thinking of giving these as gifts this holiday season, but I don't want people to have to use a wrench to open my beer.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
surfingpl
Recipes 

btw I just measured the corks with a caliper and they are approx 25mm wide x 44mm long. They are definitely longer than the corks in the chimay bottles in the pantry.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #9
beeraroundtown
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't purchase Belgian corks from More Beer, twice now I've received total crap Belgian corks from them. Make sure they have "Ref" written on the side like the ones Northern Brewer sells. I've never had any problems with the "Ref" corks.

I know the exact problem you're having as I've used the same ones, they are a total pain to get out of the bottle and often don't seal correctly. I ended up having to just cut the top of the cork off then use a wine opener to pull the rest of the cork out.

I don't think it's a problem with the sizing, just the stiffness of the cork. You should write More Beer and tell them how crappy the corks are, they will refund you and hopefully change up their Belgian cork supplier.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #10
Cellarbrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Belgian corks should be about ~25mm, champagne corks are ~31mm. I suppose it is possible you have the wrong corks. If you have a un-used one measure it.
Champagne corks come in 26 and 29 mm sizes.

Quick Reply