New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First Bottle Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterosouffle View Post
What type of bottles did you use? Belgian beers are often bottled in stronger glass
i used a mix of american craft beer bottles.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
JeepDiver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I used WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend. FG was 1.012 and held solid for two weeks that way. ill go ahead and put them in a tub.
That yeast has Brett which takes a long while to finish, and depending on your original OG, it could go a bit lower than 1.012. Quick search showed people going to 1.008 Hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing your priming sugar restarted it and it is dropping lower than you think, thus causing bottle bombs. Also the beer will probably change while in the bottle with the brett, so the taste could be a lot different by the time it is judged.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
That yeast has Brett which takes a long while to finish, and depending on your original OG, it could go a bit lower than 1.012. Quick search showed people going to 1.008 Hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing your priming sugar restarted it and it is dropping lower than you think, thus causing bottle bombs. Also the beer will probably change while in the bottle with the brett, so the taste could be a lot different by the time it is judged.
Interesting, i guess ill put half int he tub and the half in the fridge and see what happens.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #14
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think your bottles will most likely explode/be over carbonated. Brett can eat a lot of sugars yeast can't, so it wasn't really don't fermenting. Also, you didn't use champagne bottles so your bottles aren't necessarily ready for that level of carbonation.

I'd stick them in the fridge and drink it all young, and personally, I wouldn't submit it to a contest.

Also, be sure to sanitize the **** out if your fermenters. Brett(brettanomyces) is one helluva yeast, it's a survivor, it could cause you problems in the future

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymanback92 View Post
I think your bottles will most likely explode/be over carbonated. Brett can eat a lot of sugars yeast can't, so it wasn't really don't fermenting. Also, you didn't use champagne bottles so your bottles aren't necessarily ready for that level of carbonation.

I'd stick them in the fridge and drink it all young, and personally, I wouldn't submit it to a contest.

Also, be sure to sanitize the **** out if your fermenters. Brett(brettanomyces) is one helluva yeast, it's a survivor, it could cause you problems in the future
yeah i guess we will see what happens. i currently have half the bottles refrigerated and the rest in a container. i just had a bottle tonight, its honestly amazing. The taste/carb is wonderful.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah Brett is pretty awesome for bottle conditioning, try Orval. To me it's like one of those snake fireworks, the head just oozes out into this awesome clumpy frothy lacy head.

Bet the beers great, just be careful.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Quick Reply