Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First Bottle Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default First Bottle Bomb

Been brewing over 2 years now without any bottle bombs and had my first one today. Im not too sure if it was a flaw in the bottle, but I cracked open 3 bottles to check and they all had the same level of carbonation. I wouldn't say they were overcarbed but definitely had a ton of it, which I was aiming for since its a saison and I wanted something very traditional. None of the bottles had bulging caps, but as a safe precaution I put them all in the fridge to halt any more carbonation to be created.

My question is:

Im submitting these into a contest in where they will be stored for a couple weeks. Well the yeast reawaken after being a room temp to create more carbonation? Do not want these to explode for the judging.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They COULD if you put in some excessive amount of sugars to prime the bottles. You're sure fermentation was done when you bottled? How much sugar of what type did you add to prime? If everything was spot on and you don't really have any signs of an infection in other bottles then it was probably a fluke. It's happened to me.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecb View Post
They COULD if you put in some excessive amount of sugars to prime the bottles. You're sure fermentation was done when you bottled? How much sugar of what type did you add to prime? If everything was spot on and you don't really have any signs of an infection in other bottles then it was probably a fluke. It's happened to me.
Yes my Final Gravity was consistent for 2 weeks straight since i did a 5 week fermentation. I used 6oz of corn sugar in 5 gallons.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett

Yes my Final Gravity was consistent for 2 weeks straight since i did a 5 week fermentation. I used 6oz of corn sugar in 5 gallons.
6 oz is too much!

.75-1.0 oz per gallon of FINiSHED beer is recommended for 2.3-2.4vols of Co2

You over carbonated the beer and if they all haven't blown up then place them in a sealed container like storage tub with lid.

Be careful

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

6 oz is too much!

.75-1.0 oz per gallon of FINiSHED beer is recommended for 2.3-2.4vols of Co2

You over carbonated the beer and if they all haven't blown up then place them in a sealed container like storage tub with lid.

Be careful
Really? I was looking to have around 3.2 volumes for this Saison. Most traditional Belgians are highly carbonated and that's what I was aiming for. I put all of them in the fridge already.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What yeast did you use, and what was your FG. A lot of sasion yeast will get you very close to 1.0 and can take several weeks to get there, esp if they aren't kept at warmer temps. Your better off leaving them out of the firdge putting them somewhere safe (plastic tub) for as long as you can to make sure they aren't going to explode, before sending them to judging and let it happen there. I would even say take the ones you want to send out of the fridge and put them somewhere greater than 75 degrees to be safe.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

For 3.2 vols then 6 oz is not too much assuming you actually bottled a full 5 gallons of beer. If you bottled less then you over carbonated. Either way, to a lot of American drinkers over 2.7 vols tastes really quite fizzy.

In addition, did you weigh out the sugar or measure by volume. Weight is much more exact and if you measured by volume you may have been a little heavier then you thought as well.

Also, did you bulk prime to ensure an even thorough mix through all bottles. If so you may have just had a bad bottle or so but I would still be cautious, especially if you are going to competition as judges really aren't fans of exploding bottles!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
What yeast did you use, and what was your FG. A lot of sasion yeast will get you very close to 1.0 and can take several weeks to get there, esp if they aren't kept at warmer temps. Your better off leaving them out of the firdge putting them somewhere safe (plastic tub) for as long as you can to make sure they aren't going to explode, before sending them to judging and let it happen there. I would even say take the ones you want to send out of the fridge and put them somewhere greater than 75 degrees to be safe.
I used WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend. FG was 1.012 and held solid for two weeks that way. ill go ahead and put them in a tub.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
masterosouffle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What type of bottles did you use? Belgian beers are often bottled in stronger glass

Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
For 3.2 vols then 6 oz is not too much assuming you actually bottled a full 5 gallons of beer. If you bottled less then you over carbonated. Either way, to a lot of American drinkers over 2.7 vols tastes really quite fizzy.

In addition, did you weigh out the sugar or measure by volume. Weight is much more exact and if you measured by volume you may have been a little heavier then you thought as well.

Also, did you bulk prime to ensure an even thorough mix through all bottles. If so you may have just had a bad bottle or so but I would still be cautious, especially if you are going to competition as judges really aren't fans of exploding bottles!
yep it was a full 5 gallons maybe a bit more...

I did weigh out the sugar.

what do you mean by bulk prime?

yeah im hoping it was a bad bottle to, I also just discovered the cabinet I stored the bottles in was close to a pipe that was coming from the hot water heater, the exploding bottle was very close, maybe that could have something to do with it as well. not sure.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

Quick Reply