Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fire extinguiser CO2 tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
newell456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fire extinguiser CO2 tank?

I have read that a fire extinguisher tank can be used as a CO2 system for a kegerator. Anyone know what type to look for and have any tips on converting one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
tgreene7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I think you can get a CO2 tank filled, at a fire extinguisher supplier, not actually use a fire extinguisher for a CO2 tank.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreene7
I think you can get a CO2 tank filled, at a fire extinguisher supplier, not actually use a fire extinguisher for a CO2 tank.
According to this site: http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm you can use an extinguisher tank, but it was a bit vague as to what type of tank to look for:

"Another source of gas is CO2 fire extinguishers, which are made typically from a 20 lb tank, except painted red and fitted with an extinguisher squeeze-valve and horn. . . . I have . . . adapted the high-side of my regulator to connect to the extinguisher valve. When empty, the gas dealer can then remove the squeeze-valve and extinguisher horn and install a standard twist valve top on the tank. Tanks should also be inspected internally and subjected to a hydrostatic pressure test after some years, so if you are not swapping tanks to refill, you should make sure your dealer is inspecting the tanks on the right schedule."

I guess it all depends on what the filler in my area is willing to work with.

Quick Reply