Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Finally gonna start kegging ... but need your help (of course)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Finally gonna start kegging ... but need your help (of course)

Alright. Gonna end up getting the Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft freezer which will fit 6 kegs. I think the cheapest kegging kit is at Midwest Supplies but it only goes up to 4 kegs. Link

4 kegs is fine for now, but when I want to put 2 more kegs in there I guess I would also have to upgrade the 4-way gas manifold???

Also, this thing comes with picnic taps, and if I'm correct those are the ones that you don't mount and they just stay inside the freezer. I would have to upgrade those, too.

Is the best bet just to piece it together? I figured a kit would be cheaper, but I can't find a 6 keg kit.

Any help is appreciated.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

Wow thats a good price.. Cheapest kit I could find in townhere was $305 and thats only with 5lbs tank and 1 keg..

Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try calling them- A lot of places (I've dealt with Midwest before and they always helped me out) will be able to do something for you they don't have online or in their catalog. Just tell them you are interested/about to buy that kit, but tell them what you want. More then likely, they'll still be able to work out a pretty sweet deal for you. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's a good price. You might be able to piece it together cheaper using craigslist and ebay but if you want the setup right away go for it.

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Gregredic
Recipes 

Id say piece mill it together. Get what you want the FIRST time....much cheaper in the long run.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I ordered their 3 keg kit about two months back and its fantastic. I cut off two of the picnic taps and bought 2 of their large refrigerator conversion kits and stuck them through the door, I use the third as a picnic tap on the inside (for beverages that are consumed less frequently.)

I already regret not getting perlicks (forward sealing taps) as mine are starting to stick, but I will be cleaning them after the next kegs are kicked.

In terms of extra kegs, check out pedalbiker in the classifieds, I ordered 4 kegs from him and they came in pristine condition (with colored tops even!) or chi company.

Lastly, I would check around you for fire extinguisher refill locations to see if they will refill CO2 tanks on location, you wont want to give up that shiny new tank!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuygie88 View Post
Lastly, I would check around you for fire extinguisher refill locations to see if they will refill CO2 tanks on location, you wont want to give up that shiny new tank!
+1! Welding supply places are good too (normally cheaper). Just don't let them swap you a crappy steel tank (I have 20# steel tanks, nothing wrong with them either, just aluminum is lighter and shinier). oooo shiny metal object

Quick Reply