Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Filtration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
wdwalter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Filtration

Need a good recommendation for a filtration system. I have been looking at the plate filter available from Williams Brewing but I've heard good and bad. What is the go-to filter for those of you who do this regularly?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwalter View Post
Need a good recommendation for a filtration system. I have been looking at the plate filter available from Williams Brewing but I've heard good and bad. What is the go-to filter for those of you who do this regularly?
Well, I don't filter regularly, but sometimes with a powdery yeast that resists cold crashing. Yeah, some years ago I tried the plate filter thing. Mine leaked like a bucket with a hole. I went to Lowes and got one of those 10 in under-sink filter units and rigged it to filter between kegs with a 5 micron filter. The thing works well.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

I use the plate filter you referred to. It works fine for me, never really had any leaking problems. You can buy coarse, medium, and fine filters for it, but I've never needed anything other than the coarse filter to get clear beer. Make sure you cold crash before filtering, and use a really low pressure (~2 or 3 psi), otherwise it starts to bulge like it might pop a gasket. If it does start bulging just back off on the pressure until it has time to release. Also make sure you take care to tighten everything down with an even distribution of pressure on the wingnuts. The more sediment you have in your beer, the longer it will take as the filter begins to get full. Last time it took me about an hour, but I had a lot of sediment from spices. Overall I like it, but it requires some patience, close supervision, and a bit of tinkering to get it working just right. Hope this helps,

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Quick Reply