*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Filtering????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
kip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Filtering????

I'm toying with the idea of filtering my beer so its clear... I've always bottle conditioned until recently so it wasn't really an option. I don't mind my beer being a bit cloudy but it really turns a lot of people off and its something to do . Anybody have a cheap simple filter system setup you can point me at?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

None of them are really cheap. Seriously, as much as its pushed around here, it does work...AGE IT LONGER. Get some Irish moss or other clarifying agent. I got crystal clear results on my pumpkin ale (although it tasted horrible) with irish moss and a 3 day cold crash. Then I let it sit on the counter for 2 more days before I racked it to the bottling bucket. Just remember leave that last inch of beer and sediment in the carboy.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
None of them are really cheap. Seriously, as much as its pushed around here, it does work...AGE IT LONGER. Get some Irish moss or other clarifying agent. I got crystal clear results on my pumpkin ale (although it tasted horrible) with irish moss and a 3 day cold crash. Then I let it sit on the counter for 2 more days before I racked it to the bottling bucket. Just remember leave that last inch of beer and sediment in the carboy.

+1 on this,

I have very little yeast in the bottom of my bottles and unless I shake them, NONE in suspension when I pour properly.....I leave my beers a month in primary and minimum 3 weeks in bottles, and chill them which is the same as crash cooling, so I get barely anything.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
jcdillin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+2

Month in primary and 3 weeks to a month in bottle and no clarity issues at all. I don't use any boil additives either.

Current Rig
4.5KW E-HLT
5.5KW E-Kettle
MasterFlex Peristaltic Primary Pump
March Secondary Pump
Therminator for Chilling

Planned
Automated Grain Drop
Automated Hop Dropper

System controlled via BrewTroller

Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
jackers252
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a $39 kit I am about to buy when I place my next kit order.
Beer Filtering Kit | MoreBeer

The filter element is non-reusable but the replacement elements are only $3.75 for the 1.0 micron. You can also go with a 0.5 micron ($17.65) or a 5 micron ($3.95).

Even though they are not reusable, you can use them for multiple batches. I always do two batches the same day anyway so it will only cost me 2 bucks a batch extra for filtered beer.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip View Post
I'm toying with the idea of filtering my beer so its clear... I've always bottle conditioned until recently so it wasn't really an option. I don't mind my beer being a bit cloudy but it really turns a lot of people off and its something to do . Anybody have a cheap simple filter system setup you can point me at?

Thanks,
If you really want clear beer, kegging is a great way to go. You never have to worry about sediment in the bottom of your bottles either. When bottling, I never had a truly clear beer, but from the keg it's clear about a week after I rack from primary->keg. I know a kegging setup is a bit overkill, but that's what worked for me.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 12-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackers252 View Post
Here is a $39 kit I am about to buy when I place my next kit order.
Beer Filtering Kit | MoreBeer

The filter element is non-reusable but the replacement elements are only $3.75 for the 1.0 micron. You can also go with a 0.5 micron ($17.65) or a 5 micron ($3.95).

Even though they are not reusable, you can use them for multiple batches. I always do two batches the same day anyway so it will only cost me 2 bucks a batch extra for filtered beer.
I use a similar setup on my wines without the black connectors and without using a keg. But this is definately a cool setup for filtering beer.

Most of these items can be purchased locally (Lowes/HD and the LHBS) so if you are good with your hands on, you could save a few bucks. But the filter kit is a great buy from what I see.

Salute!
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
MikeInCtown
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The link to the filter setup is an awesome price for this type of setup. Just make sure you can use the normal filters they sell at lowes or HD. It appears that it does, but make sure anyway.

FWIW this type of filter with the clear base is something like $30 at the bg boxes. Add the fittings, hose, clamps, and then the keg disconnects and you are easily up over $40. The kit linked to is the way to go as far as price is concerned.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
Col224
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is but as I'm looking more and more into kegging someday, I wonder if anyone out there kegs their beer but DOESN'T have a kegerator? I'm only asking because I'm broke but getting the initial keg/co2 setup is within my price range but also having to get a kegerator puts it out of price for a while.

This may be a dumb question but I was just curious.

Primary#1: None
Primary#2: None
Secondary: None
Bottled: American Wheat

Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sure. I started that way. I had a friend that had some space in her beer fridge.

Also, you could keg it up, and in the month that it is aging, find a $50 mini fridge. Or build a small jockey box for cooling.

I'll be putting in my first real faucet in about two days Everything has been picnic taps til now.

Quick Reply