Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Filling bottles from the keg (I promise I searched)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 03:24 AM   #11
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FWIW I have found that if I get the beer and the bottles down to around 38f, during the bottling process it drastically reduces the foaming.
my 2 cents worth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 AM   #12
left field brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Save yourself the $100. I sanitize the required bottles, let them dry a little but you want the inside to still be wet on all surfaces(rinse with a little distilled water if you're worried about sanitizer). You can use ice to bring temp of sanitizer down so that bottles will be cool when you fill. Then I take my marvelous version of the beergun(a piece of sanitized tubing long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle) and jam it tightly into my picnic faucet. Turn regulator pressure way down and bleed pressure from keg. Add just enough pressure to push the beer out and use the assistance of gravity if possible. It's not quite as fast as the BG and I do get a slight amount of foam, but I bet I lose less than a beer or two per batch. I usually only bottle from the kegs for travel or gift purposes.Something I discovered when I started kegging.....Damn, I'm gonna need several more kegs. I'd rather have kegs sitting around without fridge space than have to bottle so many batches(except HG batches/belgians). What a waste of time in my ever shortening life.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
briiman
Recipes 

I'm in agreement with Left Field Brewer except I bypass the tubing.

I just set my regulator to 1 psi and slowly fill the bottle with a cobra tap making sure the edge of the tap and the bottle are always touching. It takes about 45 seconds to one minute to fill each bottle but I have literally no foam when I'm done. Just a few bubbles on top. I have some in the fridge that I bottled this way close to two months ago and they are still just as fresh and carbonated as they were when I bottled them. I am aware that some carbonation is lost in the process but it is so minimal that I can't tell the difference.

I'm sure if I bottled more than I do I would spend the money on a beer gun or another alternative but I have been very happy with the results following this method.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Brian

Quick Reply