New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Filling bottles from the keg (I promise I searched)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default Filling bottles from the keg (I promise I searched)

Searched for a bit, couldn't get any results because bottles and keg where in the name of hte forum and getting lots of results that had nothing to do with what I wanted.

I just started kegging, got my first keg carbing up right now. It's going great too, no leaks, all the hook ups are working, anyway, on to my question. If I wanted to fill some bottles from the kegs is it as easy as .. well .. filling the bottles from the keg and capping them? Will they retain the carbonation they had before coming out of the keg? Is it possible to get the same quality of bottled beer this way as opposed to priming and bottling flat beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You'll find mixed reviews on a $60 gadget called the Blichmann Beer Gun. I get great results with mine. Others have had trouble with it. Search for that one and see what comes up (also search beergun as one word).

Old 10-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

BierMuncher has put together a little gadget that he uses to fill bottles. Looks easy/cheap and looks like it worked well. Don't have the link but you could search for 'counter pressure filler' posted by him.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Cool, thanks for the replies, got some search terms now. I just have this APA that I really want to get through so I can hook up something else. I haven't even tapped it yet. Figured I could fill a couple of my big growlers to help me get through it.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
I just have this APA that I really want to get through so I can hook up something else.
I have a similar issue. I want to do a 10 gallon batch again this weekend. Everything has to shift up by ten gallons. The ten in the primaries displaces the ten in the secondaries, and the ten in the secondaries goes into kegs. The problem is that I only have one empty corny.

Funny how you can have two similar problems and two completely different solutions. You want empty your keg into bottles after processing, and I want to empty my keg into the toilet after processing. I'll use a mug, and you'll use a beer gun. I guess the one similarity is that we'll both be using a gun in the end.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, that beergun thing is easy to use, but it can be a hassle to clean and hook up if you are only doing a few bottles. You also usually need a few more parts to interface it to your system (often $20-$40 additionally). I own one, and rarely use it. If you are only filling up a couple of bottles per keg then this is the easiest way:

Freeze the bottles - like in the freezer for a day (yes, it's a PITA and you will worry about sanitation, but I haven't had a problem to date). Then from a carbonated, normal serving keg, turn down the pressure to like 60% of what you serve at and fill your chilled bottles to the very top, and cap on the foam. Put them back in the fridge. They will be carbed and excellent.

Cheers!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

If you are going for longer term storage i say go beer gun, if you are talking short term, a couple of weeks or so, i have found that if you fully carb up your beer in the keg, then set at a serving pressure of like two or three PSI, you can get away with the hose in the faucet/cobra tap, method. Ghetto, but works for a short term fix.

Cheers

Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
I have a similar issue. I want to do a 10 gallon batch again this weekend. Everything has to shift up by ten gallons. The ten in the primaries displaces the ten in the secondaries, and the ten in the secondaries goes into kegs. The problem is that I only have one empty corny.

Funny how you can have two similar problems and two completely different solutions. You want empty your keg into bottles after processing, and I want to empty my keg into the toilet after processing. I'll use a mug, and you'll use a beer gun. I guess the one similarity is that we'll both be using a gun in the end.

It's terrible, actually. I haven't even tried my APA yet, and I bet it's going to be delicious. It was just the first beer I brewed when I got back from moving hiatus last month. I've done 7 batches since and haven't tapped into any of them. I really want to try some of the ones that are about to be ripe, but I have to tap my first two first: APA and standard Stout. Fridge is only big enough for 2 kegs .

Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 AM   #9
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You will need the beer very cold, and the bottles very cold.
I like Chillhayze's suggestion on freezing the bottles.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
You will need the beer very cold, and the bottles very cold.
I like Chillhayze's suggestion on freezing the bottles.
Sorta...

When using the Beer Gun, I attach it straight to the kegs in my kegerator. They're around 40 degrees F. I don't bother chilling the bottles, though it may help slightly with the bit of foaming I sometimes experience. I always give it a couple of seconds worth of CO2 purge before filling. I've yet to have a flat bottle of beer with this method.

Quick Reply