Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Filling a 5 lb. co2 tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
sambogi76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Filling a 5 lb. co2 tank

I am currently waiting to receive my new kegging system that comes with a 5 lb co2 tank. I have a big 50 lb co2 tank that i fill paintball tanks with (9 - 20 oz tanks) this is a siphon tank so i cant directly use it with the regulator. Has anyone ever used these to fill a 5 lb co2 tank themselves? I just didnt know about filling such a big tank. I called around and its going to cost me $20 to fill the 5 lb tank. It only cost me $25 to exchange the 50 lb tank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would be interested in the answers that come up on this. I have 20# Co2 cylinders, and I'm having issues with the local gas place filling them. Apparently the cyliders that are stamped as belonging to CCE (Coke), they are unable to legally fill them. I do have one that I can get filled.
I was wondering what valving I would need in order to fill my 5# tank, and possible transfer as much as possible to one of my other 20# cylinders, then take back the one I can get filled, and get it refilled, and get my other three 20# tanks filled. Then I will be set for quite some time, on Co2.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

in the research I do, we use 5# and 2.5# CO2 tanks to spray out our chemical treatments and we refill them from a 50# tank all the time. the only problem we run into is that when the 50# tank gets low, there isn't enough pressure to fully fill the 5# tanks, but you can still get some in there. and if you're filling your 50# tank occasionally anyway, I don't see that becoming much of a problem for you.

i know this probably isn't kosher, but I've heard of people using bondo to fill in those CCE stamps and repainting the CO2 tank so they don't have to deal with the 'legality' issues.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
ewibolo
Recipes 

I'd like to revive this old thread, because this is exactly what I'd like to do. What fittings do I need. I already have a regular paintball fill station. I am guessing I will have to take off the paintball adapter (end of steel braid hose is 1/4" right hand threads). I am trying to find an adapter from cga320 threads to get to the 1/4" rh threads, but no dice. If anyone has experience, please give me a hand. Thanks.

ewibolo

Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
OntarioBeerKegs
www.OntarioBeerKegs.com
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You can fill from a tank with a diptube to another tank. Without a pump you will not get a full fill. I fill from a 50 to 5's often and as the bigger tank empties you will notice the 5# getting filled less and less like this: 4.8, 4.7, 4.6....

Get a high pressure hose rated 2500plus PSI to err on the high side and have a shop crimp in 1/4" females on both ends. Teflon tape a cga 320 stem RH and nut on both sides. I use a ball valve in the middle of the assembly to purge when done for safety.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
ewibolo
Recipes 

Thanks, that's what I was looking for! I didn't know the nipple with RH threads existed. I thought they were only LH, so I was looking for some sort of coupling converter or something.
I'll post with the results when I successfully perform the refill from the larger tank.

Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
TonyG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I guess the question would be, is the end of your existing hose 1/4" flare connection, or 1/4" NPT connection? If it is 1/4" NPT, you should be able to screw it onto a CGA 320 nipple, otherwise you will need a matching 1/4" flare to 1/4" NPT adapter to go between the hose and nut/nipple. The nut/nipple should cost less then $10 from a welding supply, and they can probably supply the adapter also, if not, a hydraulic supply co should have a pressure rated adapter, same goes for the mentioned ball valve if you choose to use it, as the ones at your local hardware stores are not going to be rated for CO2 tank pressures.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
N20junkie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
in the research I do, we use 5# and 2.5# CO2 tanks to spray out our chemical treatments and we refill them from a 50# tank all the time. the only problem we run into is that when the 50# tank gets low, there isn't enough pressure to fully fill the 5# tanks, but you can still get some in there. and if you're filling your 50# tank occasionally anyway, I don't see that becoming much of a problem for you.

i know this probably isn't kosher, but I've heard of people using bondo to fill in those CCE stamps and repainting the CO2 tank so they don't have to deal with the 'legality' issues.
Put the 5lb'r in the freezer before filling, that will help.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You can't possibly overfill when transferring, correct?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
TonyG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
You can't possibly overfill when transferring, correct?
From my personal experience, that is not a concern, as the gas pressure in the tank will equalize before you finish transferring the liquid, which also means, you will not get a full 5lbs in a 5lb tank when filling from a larger tank. I can usually get about ~3lbs in my 5lb tank when filling from a 20lb siphon tank.

Quick Reply