Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Filled my first CO2 tank and...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
LumberjackJohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Filled my first CO2 tank and...

I learned you should bring gloves! That cylinder was so cold it almost hurt carrying it! I didn't even think of that before I grabbed it from the guy at the gas store. Next time I'm definitely bringing something to wrap it in at least!

Up Next: Nothing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How big a tank? I've never noticed that with my 5 lb tanks. But I usually leave them for pickup, so the outside must have time to adjust to ambient temp.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm, mine is usually not cold at all, and they hand it to me immediately. Except for once. My guess is if they overfill it, and need to let some out, it gets very cold, since the liquid co2 boiling off is an endothermic process.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

PV=nRT

When, the likely vent some off after they fill it. Tanks get cold if you let the gas too fast, like if your burner is drawing propane fast and the tank freezes...

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 03-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The place i used to get mine filled at before i moved, always cooled the tank down with dry ice before filling. Not really sure why.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I believe you can get them full more easily by cooling them first. Sometimes they do that by filling them just a little and releasing the CO2 to rapidly chill the tank prior to the actual fill.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Thirteen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

CO2 is filled from a bulk tank with a siphon tube drawing liquid. Once some of that liquid enters your tank it expands into a gas and the pressure increases. The two tanks will quickly equalize and no more CO2 will flow from the bulk. In order to keep the pressure in the customer tank lower than the bulk tank it must be chilled. Some shops will put them into a freezer before filling, others will partially fill the tank and then vent it to chill the tank.

Quick Reply