Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > A few bottles from the keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
monkeyn9ne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A few bottles from the keg

So im about to keg a nice looking ipa and wanted to have a few bottles around as well. I know about the carb tablets but have never used them. Any other advice on how to prime just a few bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon per bottle of dextrose also works.

My hop stopper

Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Once the beer is kegged and carbed up...sanitize and freeze a few bottles and caps. Depressurize your keg, set PSI to only enough to push beer slow. Fill the bottle from the tap, keeping it tilted as to limit oxygenation. Overfill slightly so no airspace. Cap immediately.

I've done many this way...no need to fuss with carb tabs that are very erratic at best!

You can routinely keep a few bottles and caps in the freezer for those that want to head home with one or two after a visit.

A few other threads on this if you search...others also put a small tube on the tap soas to fill from the bottom...I think this is a PITA because you need to overfill and now your trying to fill the final ounce or so from tube and not the tap itself.

Don't forget to reset your PSI to normal serving levels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstone View Post
Once the beer is kegged and carbed up...sanitize and freeze a few bottles and caps. Depressurize your keg, set PSI to only enough to push beer slow. Fill the bottle from the tap, keeping it tilted as to limit oxygenation. Overfill slightly so no airspace. Cap immediately.

I've done many this way...no need to fuss with carb tabs that are very erratic at best!

You can routinely keep a few bottles and caps in the freezer for those that want to head home with one or two after a visit.

A few other threads on this if you search...others also put a small tube on the tap soas to fill from the bottom...I think this is a PITA because you need to overfill and now your trying to fill the final ounce or so from tube and not the tap itself.

thanks for this. i had read it, but forgotten it and need it to empty a keg tonight..

newby

Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
monkeyn9ne
Recipes 

Thanks woodstone! I like the idea and will try that. No need to let them sit either eh? I can crack one soon as its chilled again? Ill expirement w it and see how it turns out! Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use the bowie bottle adapter and pull a few bottles off my keg, esp my sours, this allows me to age them longer. I opened a bottle the other day that was around a year old and it had a nice volume of co2, so the adapter works(of course you need 525 perlicks)

My hop stopper

Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstone

Just did this to empty a keg yesterday. Worked like a dream. Thanks!!!

newby

Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I just bottled 11 beers off of my tap using the Bowie Bottler at full pressure in 5 minutes. Awesome.

Quick Reply