Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fermenter to Keg - Too much time overkill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Fermenter to Keg - Too much time overkill?

I'm kegging my next batch of beer for the first time, and I have some lingering questions. I've searched around, but haven't really found the answers I'm looking for. Plus, this might be an interesting discussion for beginners and/or those of us looking keg for the first time.

I've always left all my basic beers (say, non-wheat beers under 6% ABV) in primary for two weeks and two weeks in clearing tank, even if my hydrometer tells me I could move it earlier. Then, as a bottler, my beer got 3 - 4 weeks at room temps conditioning. I had no space issues, so I liked giving the beer plenty of time.

Is this overkill for kegging typical American style ales? I'm moving my process from a huge indoor closet to a fermentation freezer in the garage, so I'll either have to speed up the process or brew less often.

Should I save the room in my fermentation chamber and go from primary straight to cold crashing and into the keg in two weeks or so? If I do this, should I pull the keg out and leave it at room temps for a couple weeks to condition, or are most beers fine going straight into the keggerator after a couple weeks?

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I usually do 21 days in Primary, straight into a keg. Depending on my pipeline, I might pop it into the fridge and carb it within 3-5 days, or it could very well sit around sealed, and condition warm for 1-10 months before being put on pressure.

My Mint Pale was the clearest beer I've ever done, that one sat on the yeast cake for 4 weeks. It went into a keg, sat warm for 2 days (while I drank the dregs of what was in the fridge), then immediately went into the fridge and onto the gas.

I would say that 2 week (maybe 3?) primary, straight into a keg, straight onto gas, should be fine for most sub-6% beers.

My 10der&Mild Mild for the swap will be 7 days primary and 3 days hi-pressure in the fridge.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
I usually do 21 days in Primary, straight into a keg. Depending on my pipeline, I might pop it into the fridge and carb it within 3-5 days, or it could very well sit around sealed, and condition warm for 1-10 months before being put on pressure.

My Mint Pale was the clearest beer I've ever done, that one sat on the yeast cake for 4 weeks. It went into a keg, sat warm for 2 days (while I drank the dregs of what was in the fridge), then immediately went into the fridge and onto the gas.

I would say that 2 week (maybe 3?) primary, straight into a keg, straight onto gas, should be fine for most sub-6% beers.

My 10der&Mild Mild for the swap will be 7 days primary and 3 days hi-pressure in the fridge.
This is great info for me as a new brewer...

I'm still trying to find out what is the appropriate (as compared to minimum) amount of time in primary and then in bottles or a keg until it's ready.

Looking forward to brewing my first extract this Sunday and starting the adventure.

Quick Reply