Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fellow homebrewers, meet my new beer engine . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #21
mysterio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is brilliant! I would love to see the insides of this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #22
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I'll take some pics of the insides and try to get a better description posted sometime later today.

The beer is aging nicely despite the serving method. I throw a bit of CO2 on it after a good drinking "session" to keep oxidation at a minimum.

More later today.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #23
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you want to do small batches of cask conditioned/real ale, try using mini-kegs. I've had good luck with mine... well.... if you overlook the one that I overcarbonated and bulged out.

At 1.3 gallons, with any luck, you'll have the thing consumed before oxidation has a chance to effect the beer at all. My kegs have a nice spigot on the bottom so you can gravity feed it. I was thinking about making a beer engine, but the partystar tapper does a great job of dispensing the beer. I'm holding off for a while, but keeping the BYO article in my back pocket just in case.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #24
sonvolt
Recipes 

Okay, here are some additional details and pictures. I wish that there were more to explain about making this but it was seriously simple. First, I bought this item from amazon.com. (approx $25.00)

Then, using appropriate drill bits, etc., I attached the rocket hand pump to the lid of a small cooler I had.

Next, I made a trip to the plumbing section of my local hardware store for the parts to make two nipple adaptors fit to a threaded pipe, etc. as seen in this picture.

A rubber washer held by a metal washer seal the cooler so that water does not leak out. The fittings are identical on the inside and the outside of the cooler.

Then, I simply used some plastic tubing to connect the rocket hand pump to the nipple inside the cooler. I used a good amount of this tubing so that I could coil it up inside the cooler to increase the amount of beer that gets in contact with the ice water - but not too much that the beer gets below about 45 degrees.

On the outside of the cooler, a piece of tubing goes to a beer connect for my corny keg.

Once it is attached, I unscrew the poppet relief valve on the corny to let air in. I have thought about attaching my CO2 tank at about 1 lb of pressure instead so that no air comes into contact with the ale, however, some oxidation of the beer is actually authentic and desireable for many real ale enthusiasts.

That is about it.

I recently made an upgrade of putting a sparkler on the spout. I used a nipple adaptor, a bit of tubing, and a compression cap after I drilled some holes in it. Here is a pic.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 AM   #25
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I salute your ingenuity!

Old 07-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #26
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What is the difference between using a beer engine and a regular air pump style tap? (Other than that the beer engine looks cooler). They both let oxygen into the keg, so wouldn't they both have the same effect?

Not trying to be critical or anything, I'm just curious. I have had real ale from a beer engine and it tasted fantastic, but I assumed that was due in large part to the quality of the beer.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:34 AM   #27
sonvolt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
I salute your ingenuity!
Thank you, Sir Baron. Coming from you, I am delightedly honored.

And it is also time to crack a homebrew and play some Euchre with friends. Cheers, all!

Old 07-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #28
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt
The brewpub near me (Rhodell's in Peoria) serves it warmer than the other brews
You in Peoria????? I just moved from Peoria to East Peoria... Perhaps we should exchange some brew-wisdom....

Oh, and I am VERY familiar with Rhodell's---quite a fine brewery. I wish he would put out some of his "Dark Star" again. . .

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 07-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #29
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh, I love the beer engine as well--

Have been thinking of doing a real ale/cask conditioned type ale (especially after having one at the international beer fest in Peoria this year), and your beer engine is giving me a flurry of ideas......

(I'm surprised my wife hasn't divorced me by now)

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 AM   #30
sonvolt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biermann
You in Peoria????? I just moved from Peoria to East Peoria... Perhaps we should exchange some brew-wisdom....

Oh, and I am VERY familiar with Rhodell's---quite a fine brewery. I wish he would put out some of his "Dark Star" again. . .

I live in Washington and have been going to Rhodell's since it opened in 1998. It is a great place and I am amazed at the quality that Mark is able to get from all malt extract brewing. It is very good beer.

A buddy of mine and I have been thinking about starting up a Washington area brewers club. But we want it to be very low key - just some guys getting together a few times a year to brew a few batches and exchange some homebrews. The other club around here has gotten really weird - sorry if you are a member. They are very critical of brews and have started doing formal judging of commercial beers at their meetings rather than enjoying homebrews.

Anyway - we should exchange some brewing knowledge if not some brews

Quick Reply