Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Fellow homebrewers, meet my new beer engine . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #241
BrewingRob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What I like the most about the British ale experience is the "nitrogen served"/"hand pumped" head and mouth feel, along with the warmer serving temps, malty taste, etc.

The Altera pump is one solution, but mine never really did shake the plastic taste. Plus, as mentioned above, it is not designed to draw 1/4 or 1/2 pint at time. This not only takes more time to pump, it takes more time to settle the cascade. The newest pump does not leak like the first one (beer squirted out the side of handle with each pump!), but it's still a little messy.

My latest trick is to use a regular corny keg. It can either be naturally or forced to a low CO2 rate. After it's carbonated (if forced), I disconnect the CO2. For serving, I turn the regulator up to about 25, and reconnect the CO2, preventing more CO2 from dissolving, but forcing the beer out at a higher rate. I then put a bottle filler on the spout of a picnic tap as a restrictor (it fits right in the hole), and serve. With care, you can fill a 1/2 pint, wait for the cascade, and then complete the fill. Viola! Nitro-system/handpump on the cheap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #242
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm, interesting BrewingRob. I assume the bottle filler tip is on/off? The couple times I've done the "British ale experience" is either by gravity out of a collapsible carboy or using a syringe in a pint to "inject" air and/or force CO2 out. Always got a weird look doing that.

On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #243
BrewingRob
Recipes 

I've done both. You have to do it gently if the tip is on, making sure to only press down on the tap handle when it is touching the bottom of the glass (i.e. when it's open so that you don't blow the tip off). The other thing I've tried is making a modified "sparkler" by melting divots into the side of the black nipple. The results are similar either way.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #244
compact007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone had any sort of off flavor when they serve with this pump.?

I'm trying to narrow down what might be causing this with my setup.

I'm using the 1 gallon collaspable kegs.. they are food grade. My only thought might be the tube I used may not be food grade.

Any thoughts?

2 gallons of Wild hop IPA fermenting.... that is all

Quick Reply