New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Faulty Regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
arborman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Faulty Regulator?

I have a regulator that is about 4-5 months old, came from Morebeer when I bought my keg set up.

It has served me very well, maybe about 5 or so kegs so far.

I installed a splitter on it, so I can feed two kegs, and have had really no issues with it, until this past week.

I noticed last week that the pressure on the regulator started spiking really high. I also noticed that this happened when I was about to run out of gas on my last tank. I was wondering why it was happening last week, since its a brand new filled tank...

I had it connected to two kegs, one was full, the other had maybe a gallon left in it. I noticed that while carbing up the new keg, beer was being pushed out of the tap, and the pressure was jumping up to 30 plus PSI. I kept bleeding and lowering the pressure, but it would keep jumping.

I went away for the weekend, and decided to remove the tap line from the full keg, but left it on the nearly empty keg. When I got home last night, all the beer left from the keg that was hooked up had been pushed out through the tap. I had left the gas on the other full keg, and when I hooked up the tap, it was waaaaay overcarbed, giving me all foam.

Do I have a faulty regulator, or is there another issue going on here? I hooked up to another full keg to start carbing, and its holding steady at 12PSI.... It has not spiked at all since I hooked it up last night.

Now, how do I deal with my overcarbed keg? I removed the gas, and have been bleeding it off. Any other advice? Should I return this regulator and pick up a new one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
AttenuatingCircumstances
Recipes 

I have had a similar situation happen with the spike and then my CO2 tank emptying quickly so I'd like to subscribe to this thread.

I had mine set to 10 and it stayed there for a few days and then jumped up to 20 and my CO2 tank had lost a lot of gas, also on a brand new tank.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
arborman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bump

Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

is your tank in the fridge or outside?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
DrunkleJon
ADD Ginge.. HEY, that is shiny!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 741 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 371

I had some pressure creep on my regulator. You may have some debris in the regulator itself and a quick disassembly/reassembly or just blowing at pressure through the regulator may assist this.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
arborman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGator View Post
is your tank in the fridge or outside?
I keep it in the refrigerator. I have always done this, and its held steady at 12, just until the tank nears empty... Then, the gauge would spike very high, but was really just empty.

This last go, it was a new tank. It spiked high, so I thought I got a tank that was not full.... But, it was truly full, and it spiked and carbed the daylights outta both of my beers.

It seems to be holding OK now, but I am pretty worried about it. Ive got two brews on deck in kegs that I am really looking forward to, pretty expensive ones also. I'd hate to loose them to a bunk regulator. Is it wise to get a new regulator, or just sit tight and see how it goes?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
evancold
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I had some pressure creep on my regulator. You may have some debris in the regulator itself and a quick disassembly/reassembly or just blowing at pressure through the regulator may assist this.
+1

I have had the same issue. Take apart the regulator as stated above, clean it, reassemble and you should be good.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post

I know this thread is a few months old but hopefully you guys are still seeing updates. How would I go about disassembling/re-assembling a regulator?

I'm wondering if this may be the problem I am having. I have a 2-regulator setup (pic below). At present, I have the regulator closest to the high pressure gauge (left) set to 12 psi for a manifold I have it hooked to (serving 2 kegs).

The regulator closest to the tank (right) has the pressure adjustment screw all the way backed out because I have nothing currently hooked to it. I also have the gas shut off right before the tubing closed.

What I have noticed, is that even with the regulator screw backed all the way out, pressure slowly builds up on the low pressure gauge for this regulator. It takes about 2 days to go from 0 to about 8 psi. I have never let it go past that. If I pull the purge trigger, there is a quick, small "pfft" of CO2 and the gauge immediately pops back to 0.

Sounds like I may have either some debris or a leaky seal here. But I am not overly mechanically inclined and am a little leery about breaking into the regulator.

Any pointers or a link to an article or YouTube video would be appreciated.

One other question. If I hook up a keg to this regulator in its current condition, would I expect my beer to eventually become overcarbed?

Last edited by winvarin; 10-02-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: accidentally included the original quote twice

Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

Overcrabed kegs: shake, rest and bleed.. repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
I know this thread is a few months old but hopefully you guys are still seeing updates. How would I go about disassembling/re-assembling a regulator?

I'm wondering if this may be the problem I am having. I have a 2-regulator setup (pic below). At present, I have the regulator closest to the high pressure gauge (left) set to 12 psi for a manifold I have it hooked to (serving 2 kegs).

The regulator closest to the tank (right) has the pressure adjustment screw all the way backed out because I have nothing currently hooked to it. I also have the gas shut off right before the tubing closed.

What I have noticed, is that even with the regulator screw backed all the way out, pressure slowly builds up on the low pressure gauge for this regulator. It takes about 2 days to go from 0 to about 8 psi. I have never let it go past that. If I pull the purge trigger, there is a quick, small "pfft" of CO2 and the gauge immediately pops back to 0.

Sounds like I may have either some debris or a leaky seal here. But I am not overly mechanically inclined and am a little leery about breaking into the regulator.

Any pointers or a link to an article or YouTube video would be appreciated.

One other question. If I hook up a keg to this regulator in its current condition, would I expect my beer to eventually become overcarbed?
Take the reg off teh tank. Unscrew the large pice that the adjustment screw goes into from the main body. Use a large wrench and try not to damage any fitting coming off the reg. it should be obvious.

In you case I think you need to replace the inner valve so you will need a rebuild kit. Some online HBS have them.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts

So does my situation sound like pressure creep? Or is it expected that if I am passing through an "off" regulator to an "on" regulator, that the "off" regulator would pick up some minor pressure ?

Quick Reply