Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Faucet selection... opinions needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Faucet selection... opinions needed

Seal forward design faucet.

I am currently considering purchasing three of these. Any opinions on them or anything better that you would suggest?

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well... Ventmatics (what you have linked there) are probably some of the best faucets you can find, and are the kind I'm looking forward to picking up myself. The downside is that they have been out of production for a little while now. Rumor has it that they will be able to start supplying them by month's end, but we'll have to wait and see.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

That link is not a 'vent matic' brand. It is another brand with a 'seal forward' design by 'ultraflow'. I have heard so much about the vent matic brand but not about this one. I dont think I will have a problem going with one brand over another, was just wondering if the 'seal forward' design is all they say it is?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UltraFlo is the what VentMatic calls their product if I recall correctly. AFAIK, VentMatic and Perlick are the only folks who produce(d) seal-forward style faucets - Perlick licensing the general design from VentMatic - but I could be wrong on that bit.

I can't say I've used them myself, but all the folks I've ever heard from swear by them.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
h2dk
Recipes 

If you can wait for the Ventmatics to become available, definately get those. If you need faucets sooner, grab the Perlicks. Get them from superprod.com. (Search for Part# 851300 if the link doesn't work). The best price I could find for these.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I've used both the traditional faucet and the seal forward design (both the Perlicks and the Vent-Matics).

The traditional faucets are problematic. First, they stick between uses, especially if you go a couple of days and don't tap a beer. Sometimes they stick so bad you feel like you will break the handle off trying to draw a beer. Next, they just get plain nasty inside with dried up beer and crud. I sold them and got Perlicks which were like night and day.

The Perlicks NEVER stuck, even after a couple of weeks of inactivity. Plus, when I went to clean them, there was virtually nothing inside to clean out. They were as clean as when I installed them. When I embarked on the Great Fridge Project, I sold the Perlicks and bought the Vent-Matics. Same basic design, but a bit cleaner look. Also, the main forward seal on the Vent-Matics is a bit more reliable. The Perlick seal is a simple O-ring that can leak a little if you don't make absolutely sure that the faucet handle is pushed all the way back after drawing a beer. I would be especially wary if I had a larger tap handle with some weight to it. The Vent-Matic has a more reliable/positive seal when it is shut-off. Over-all, I like the Vent-Matics best, but the Perlicks are still great and you will save a bit of money - plus, who knows when Vent-Matic will start shipping again.

Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 03-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #7
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

You are correct Darth, UltraFlow is the VentMatic. I cannot find those as others seem to have noticed as well. I am not really in a hurry but I like to order everything at once to minimize shipping charges. This is going to be in an order with other parts that I do want to start working with so I may go ahead and go with the perlicks. I will call a couple of places first and see when they think they will be available. Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
h2dk
Recipes 

Send an email to sales@ventmatic.com

According to a poster on another board, the 3 he ordered shipped yesterday

Old 03-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

I got a reply from ventmatic.... They say 30 days out. I spoke to someone at more beer and when I told him what they said, he replied with '*Sigh* another excuse/delay. They keep putting it off again and again'.

He also said that they were currently getting different manuafacturers to produce test products so that they could pick which manuafacturer they wanted to go with. This concerns me a bit. I am wondering now if the quality will be as good as they used to be.

I am now considering going with Perlick but I understand there may also be a problem getting those right now.

Think I will order the Perlick and if they tell me they are backordered, I will cancel the order and wait till the ventmatics come out again.

P.S. Darth you were right 'Ultraflow' is the 'Ventmatic' brand.

One other opinion needed if you would... Stainless shanks vs. standard... I already decided and paid the extra $$$ for stainless just for piece of mind and I realize this may have been for nothing. Think it makes any difference?

Old 03-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
One other opinion needed if you would... Stainless shanks vs. standard... I already decided and paid the extra $$$ for stainless just for piece of mind and I realize this may have been for nothing. Think it makes any difference?
I went all stainless, but mostly because I had already gone whole hog on everything else. Plus, I read this article:

http://www.stainlessone.com/DPS11020-8pgReprint.pdf

In reality, I think you should only go stainless if you want to do everything possible to eliminate as many risks to your beer as possible. There may also be some benefits for long term storage of bottles bottled from the tap (I have long since ditched my CPBF in favor of bottling from the tap). I think in general, chrome plated shanks are fine. Bars and restaurants have been doing it for decades. Get the Perlicks/Vent-Matics because of the forward seal design (which is totally worth the cost) not necessarily because they are stainless steel.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Quick Reply