Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Extra check valve needed in primary/secondary regulator set up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
PenPen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extra check valve needed in primary/secondary regulator set up?

I am looking to buy my regulator set up for my kegs. I’d like to have a dual-guage primary regulator with a single-secondary regulator. I’m going to “T” off of the main primary line with one line going to the higher psi keg and the other line going to the secondary regulator.

My question is this. Is there any need for me to install an in-line check valve below the T going to the higher psi keg?

I can’t conceptualize a situation where the pressure in the higher keg would push back into the line. But I’m new at this, so what do I know?

If the higher psi keg did blow back into the line, while there’s a check valve on the primary regulator, there’s nothing that would stop the flow to the input of the secondary regulator, thus gucking it up.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 949 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I guess it depends on where the check valve is. If you're using a hose barb "T" after the primary's shutoff and check valve, your problem may be a backup into the input of the secondary since there's nothing to stop that from happening. You might want to use a brass "Y" on the primary and run two shutoff/check valves.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Think of it this way:

To protect your equipment you want a 'check' between your liquid and each path to a regulator. In your description you have 2 regulators with exposure to liquid. Thus you will need 2 check valves at a minimum. One on the line from Primary to keg and one on Secondary to keg.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I am a firm believer in having check valves. I use the inline type from US plastics. I installed them in each gas line about 6-8" from the QD's. I use them more for making sure that my individual pressures in each keg stay isolated and not bleed down into the lower pressure kegs, not so much for protecting my regulators from liquid. If you don't overfill your kegs and have liquid reaching the short gas in diptube, or try to inject the CO2 into the liquid out post, there will be no chance of liquid backing up into your gas line.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I am a firm believer in having check valves. I use the inline type from US plastics. I installed them in each gas line about 6-8" from the QD's. I use them more for making sure that my individual pressures in each keg stay isolated and not bleed down into the lower pressure kegs, not so much for protecting my regulators from liquid. If you don't overfill your kegs and have liquid reaching the short gas in diptube, or try to inject the CO2 into the liquid out post, there will be no chance of liquid backing up into your gas line.
John (or others) -- had a look at the US plastics site, and took a guess at what you were using.

Do you think this product would work similarly?
http://www.mcmaster.com item# 6079T53

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
johnsma22

Recipes 

Those checks from McMaster should do the trick just fine. Here is a link to the check valves that I got from US Plastics. I have been very pleased with them, and they are only $1.50 each.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Those checks from McMaster should do the trick just fine. Here is a link to the check valves that I got from US Plastics. I have been very pleased with them, and they are only $1.50 each.
Thanks John. I am going to order some of these up. That seems like VERY cheap insurance!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
johnsma22

Recipes 

I just noticed that they are on back order! Sorry about that. Worth the wait though. Great people at US Plastics.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 AM   #9
PenPen
Recipes 

Thanks for everyone's advice. I got stuck at work and am just now home. It's beer-thirty fo sho!

Good tip on the cheap in-line checks. Much appreciated.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
damnitbeavis
Zymurgist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey guys. getting parts to put together my keezer, and just came across this. If I put check valves in the gas lines, do I need clamps to hold them in place? Or do I just jam them between two lengths of tube.

Thanks!

Quick Reply