Exploding bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyMcOwnsYou

Reaction score
So we talked to this "brewer" at a local shop, and he had all these concerns about exploding bottles and was basically saying that using glass would be very dangerous especially when putting sugar into each bottle. My question is, how often do bottles explode, and what concerns/precautions should we take.

Putting sugar in bottles is really stupud, but a lot people do it.

If you check the progress of your brews then you should never get an exploding bottle.

If you are bottling a while batch of brew you should really boil some water and corn sugar for 5 mins and add to your bottling bucket.

If you ever get exploding bottles then they are OVER-CARBONATED. You need to place the remaining bottles in a cold area, like the fridge. The cold renders the carbonation process dormant.

I had several bottles explode on me, but they were all root beer.

I have never had a beer grenade. Funny thing is, I have beers that are over 1 year old and have NEVER been in the fridge. :D

Exploding bottles are rare. I don't know anyone (who admits) to having exploding bottles. Generally caused by bottling too early with too much priming sugar. One reason to add the priming sugar to the beer and then bottle, is better control over the total amount.

Sounds like someone has been watching too many Three Stooges reruns.

I have a friend who had bottle bombs the first batch he made. He primed each bottle with sugar instead of adding to bottling bucket. They started popping in the trunk of his car while he was taking them to a party. We are trying to convince his wife to let him try again. :D

Back