Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > exploding bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You should be fine, as others here have pointed out. Go make yourself a nice Oktoberfest.

Now, in the unlikely event you do get an exploding bottle, try moving your beers to a cooler spot to slow down fermentation -- or chill them enough to stop fermentation entirely. Then start drinking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
sarool
Recipes 

Default First bottle bomb

Ive brewed 12-15 batches and I just had my first exploding bottle last night. I made the Saison de Garde recipe from the All About Beer that came out a couple months ago. I think I bottled a little prematurely; it was in the primary fermenter for 17 days. From what I've been reading, it could have probably used some additional time in a secondary fermentation.

I also used a cup of priming sugar for the 5 gal batch, so my carbonation will be on the upper end, but that is desirable for this style of beer from what I understand.

Hopefully I won't have any more bombs since i have another 10 days before I will sample one.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #13
krause59
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarool View Post
Ive brewed 12-15 batches and I just had my first exploding bottle last night. I made the Saison de Garde recipe from the All About Beer that came out a couple months ago. I think I bottled a little prematurely; it was in the primary fermenter for 17 days. From what I've been reading, it could have probably used some additional time in a secondary fermentation.

I also used a cup of priming sugar for the 5 gal batch, so my carbonation will be on the upper end, but that is desirable for this style of beer from what I understand.

Hopefully I won't have any more bombs since i have another 10 days before I will sample one.
Be careful with the Saison yeasts...I brewed an IPA with one (about two months ago) thought I'd taken precautions (very little corn sugar) and just had an exploding bottle tonight. The saison yeasts seem to be extremely hungry.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had two bottles explode in my closet. I had moved the day before and I think they got shaken up a bit. Woke up in the morning and they had blown glass out of the closet into the hallway. There was glass EVERYWHERE (including sticking out of walls). It was actually rather disturbing.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
krause59
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
I had two bottles explode in my closet. I had moved the day before and I think they got shaken up a bit. Woke up in the morning and they had blown glass out of the closet into the hallway. There was glass EVERYWHERE (including sticking out of walls). It was actually rather disturbing.
That's exactly what happened to me the first time, and yes, seeing the brown ale splattered across the wall, and discovering glass shards everywhere was disturbing and sort of terrifying. I'm confused this time (my Ipa exploded last night) because I didn't move it around a whole lot and fermentation as far as I could tell was done.

EFaden, what yeast were you using for your exploding bottles? Also, were they old, I"m not sure how old my bottles are at this point, or how often they've been used.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krause59 View Post
That's exactly what happened to me the first time, and yes, seeing the brown ale splattered across the wall, and discovering glass shards everywhere was disturbing and sort of terrifying. I'm confused this time (my Ipa exploded last night) because I didn't move it around a whole lot and fermentation as far as I could tell was done.

EFaden, what yeast were you using for your exploding bottles? Also, were they old, I"m not sure how old my bottles are at this point, or how often they've been used.
It was a long time ago, and I'm not even sure which beer it was at this point.

Quick Reply