Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > exploding bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
GalenSevinne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default exploding bottles

Is there any typical timeframe one could expect to see bottles exploding if they were to explode? Or could it be expected to happen anytime throughout the life span of the beer in the bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Never had one explode, but if you're really concerned, waste a beer: pop one open at 3-4 weeks, room temp. If you have a huge gusher, you have potential for broken bottles.

If you followed all the directions, it should carb nicely, with no danger.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I've never had one, but I think that if you were going to have one it wouldn't be in any set time frame.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
GalenSevinne
Recipes 

I guess my concern is that (this is my first brew) I mixed up enough priming sugar for 5 gallons but after pouring the beer from the fermenting bucket onto it in the bottling bucket there was only 4.5 gallons. Doesn't seem to be a big difference to me but because I have never done this before, it has my eye.

Thanks,

Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm sure you'll be fine- you generally aren't pushing bottles to their limit anyway, so you'll just have a spritzier beer. Assuming you were aiming for 2-2.5 volumes of carbonation (usually 4-4.5 oz. of sugar per batch), I'd say you're in no danger. I believe bottles can handle upwards of 3 volumes, though you don't want to make a regular practice of asking them to.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalenSevinne View Post
I guess my concern is that (this is my first brew) I mixed up enough priming sugar for 5 gallons but after pouring the beer from the fermenting bucket onto it in the bottling bucket there was only 4.5 gallons. Doesn't seem to be a big difference to me but because I have never done this before, it has my eye.

Thanks,
It will be fine, just a little more highly carbed. As you learn more about brewing you may come upon the term "carbing for style." And you will find that some styles are carbed lower (and would require less sugar/5 gallon batch) and Some are higher (requiring more sugar/5 gallon batch.)

The different sugar amounts equal different "Volumes of CO2."

An average style beer, and the way most kit beer come with 4.5 or 5 ounces of sugar produces about 2-2.5 volumes of co2.

So what ended up happening was that you by having 5 gallons woth of sugar/4.5 gallon batch raised the co2 vloume a tad....Maybe to three volumes.

no big deal, beer bottles can handle it.

FYI more on carbing to style, I am bottling a Belgian Saison today that require 4-4.5 volumes (around 8 ounces of priming sugar.) Most of them are going into champagne bottles.

Bottle bombs usually occur is someone bottles too soon where there is still the original sugar in the wort still left to consume ON TOP OF the sugar added to prime it and a huge amount of co2 gets provided, more than the bottle can handle...OR their is an infection that is eating the fermentables in the bottle as well as the sugar and producing too much co2....

Neither of those are in your case, so you will be fine...you'rew just nervous.

Just leave them alone for the weeks at 70 degrees, then be sure to chill the beer you plan on drinking down for at least 2 days to reabsorb any excess co2 back into the beer...and enjoy

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
GalenSevinne
Recipes 

thanks folks! Yes I am being nervous! I was nervous about initial airlock activity, nervous about hopping, nervous about SG readings, nervous about bottles exploding, so now I will just be nervous about taste . I am whittling it down to its truest essence with time. Its never as good as the first time is probably true for brewing as well.

It is an IPA that sat in the fermenter for three weeks before bottling. It has been in bottles now for a week so I will continue to relax and enjoy my DFHs I bought last week in Rehoboth.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That first beer is definitely nerve-wracking. The best thing you could do now would be to make another batch. Regardless, you're two weeks away from tasting beer that you made, and that is pretty awesome.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

that difference in sugar shouldn't matter.

I HAVE had exploding bottles, and it was a decade ago when I bottled an extract Stout that was about 1.024
stupidity and impatience, I figured it must be done after 1 week.

about a month and a half later they started exploding. one bottle would pop and break the 6 bottles surrounding it in the case.

every bottle gushed when opened until it was only half full. all a waste.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
that difference in sugar shouldn't matter.

I HAVE had exploding bottles, and it was a decade ago when I bottled an extract Stout that was about 1.024
stupidity and impatience, I figured it must be done after 1 week.

about a month and a half later they started exploding. one bottle would pop and break the 6 bottles surrounding it in the case.

every bottle gushed when opened until it was only half full. all a waste.
I've had a couple. One was stored above my fridge and I figured it go too hot. I had another in my brew closet, best I could figure it was a bottle failure..maybe a weak spot.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply