Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Experiences with Fass-Frisch (report them here)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Not particularly. I used to get round that by fining in the bright tank and racking off the lees/trub. The first glass can be hazy, but the rest, as Charlie says, is clear aleing.

If you rack straight from the primary into these things, you're asking for trouble, IMO.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Man, the tap for these things is expensive!!!

I thought about going the Kulmbacher route, as I love that beer, but those systems don't use the CO2 cart's....

I think I'm just going to save up few bucks in the piggy bank, and invest in a 2.5 gal corny.

Thanks for splitting off this thread, though, Jason, great work! This will be a good reference for the future. If I get a chance, I'll try to remember to wiki-fy some of this for later.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The 5L my kids have been coming home with were for Root Beer. Any difference vs the bier filled 5L containers? Pulled the bung, cleaned and filled
one with some 18 year old black powder then set it in a 6' deep post hole back filled.
Made a watering hole for the horses at the ranch after adding a some 1/2" pipe to trickle feed it from the spring.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 10-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have both styles.

If you get the kegs with the tap built in on the bottom you don't need to buy a tap.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Man, the tap for these things is expensive!!!

I thought about going the Kulmbacher route, as I love that beer, but those systems don't use the CO2 cart's....

I think I'm just going to save a few bucks, and invest in a 2.5 gal corny.
Yeah, the tap does seem a bit spendy and I'd more likely use them solely as gravity-dispensed systems. That said, that starter kit that Bob posted doesn't seem too bad and you'd still get the opportunity to use the CO2 carts on reuse.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

To clarify - I meant save a few bucks, and stuff them into a corny fund jar, and eventually buy a 2.5g corny. I wasn't trying to insinuate that 2.5g cornies are cheaper than 5L mini-kegs. I don't think anyone thought I was saying that. But in re-reading my wording, I wanted to clear it up, as I was vague.

Carry on. Pay no mind to the blathering idiot over here in the corner.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
To clarify - I meant save a few bucks, and stuff them into a corny fund jar, and eventually buy a 2.5g corny. I wasn't trying to insinuate that 2.5g cornies are cheaper than 5L mini-kegs. I don't think anyone thought I was saying that. But in re-reading my wording, I wanted to clear it up, as I was vague.
Sheesh, what a buffoon!

I'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down, dude. No worries.

I'd thought about a 2.5g corny as well.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
tdiowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I started Homebrewing I used these exclusively. I view these as a good lesson on how to keg. I now have been Kegging for the past three years and have a whole set up sitting in my basement. Anyone wanting them shoot me an offer and I would be will to let them go.

No reasonable offer refused and in fact if you pay shipping and buy me a beer someday I would let them go. I think I have 10 - 12 of them and this includeds the pressure release bungs and tap.

TD

Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
Dagatris
Recipes 

I've currently got 2 of these, one a Coors Light from my dad, the other a Paulaner Oktoberfest that we had last weekend (it was awesome). I'm gonna set them up to soak in some Oxyclean for a week.

I'm thinking about filling one of them up with non-carbed Apfelwein in a few weeks when it's ready. That way, I can fill it to the top, and not worry about it exploding on me. The other one I'd like to fill with beer. Any suggestions on how much head space to leave for natural carbing purposes? Or tricks on how to know when it's almost full? I saw in another thread that 1-2 tablespoons of corn sugar is enough to carb one of these little fellas.

I got the bung out of one of them ok, it's in 3 pieces. Is that normal? The rubber bung, the little twist-top piece, and a little plastic piece that sits inside the bung to vent it.

I'm thinking that the pull out tap on the bottom does not come completely out. So I just need to leave it pulled out and turned to the open position while soaking it. I'll have to be very careful, cause if this part breaks off, I think the whole keg will be garbage. I've not seen replacements for these sold anywhere.

Drinking: Irish Stout, Ed's Apfelwein, Chocolate Stout, Holiday Spiced Ale, Irish Red Ale, Watermelon Wine

Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #20
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Can you naturally carb and use the party star tap on the mini-kegs that have the gravity dispense tap?

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Quick Reply