Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ever keg your bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #21
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Edit: also, I just remembered that this more carbonated beer had only been in the fridge a short time. Often that will play a role. See if you've got better foam after keeping them in the fridge a few days.
+5 there... I find that chilling for 4-5 days, or longer, does my brews better. The head calms down, and stays longer.

Also, if you used regular dish soap to clean your pot/kettle, that could be it right there. Use something like BarKeepers Friend to clean SS... Also seriously rinse out your beer glasses. Even a minute amount of soap residue there can kill the brew's head...

Bet you didn't know there were so many moving elements when you started home brewing... Don't worry, once you get things figured out, it's easy to adjust your routine to make them second nature. Especially after enough batches...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #22
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You know what, I put my bottles in the dishwasher with about half the normal detergent. I'm guessing this is so wrong but I've done this for the other beers I've done also with no issues. How do you guys prep your bottles? I pulled all beers outta fridge, gonna give a light shake and let sit another week. Based on taste, I'll be surpassed if this beer comes around.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #23
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
You know what, I put my bottles in the dishwasher with about half the normal detergent. I'm guessing this is so wrong but I've done this for the other beers I've done also with no issues. How do you guys prep your bottles? I pulled all beers outta fridge, gonna give a light shake and let sit another week. Based on taste, I'll be surpassed if this beer comes around.
Yeah, soap is bad.

For me, bottle prep is:
1) soak in hot pbw
2) hot rinse with jet bottle washer
3) starsan rinse with vinator

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #24
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I triple rinse the bottles to get the sediment out. IF I have to, I soak in PBW solution for the stubborn bottles (only had one so far) and then triple rinse it. I fill them with StarSan, drain, and let them drip on the bottle tree before being filled. I bottle in Grolsch (swing/flip top bottles) and as long as I make sure the seal looks good, I get a solid seal and great carbonation (and head) from them.

IMO, I wouldn't use any soak in a dishwasher for bottles. Hell, I wouldn't bother to put any bottles through it even without soap. I find it so easy to simply rinse the bottles when you pour the glass(es) from them, that it seems silly to do otherwise.

Of course, if you start kegging, your bottle worries will go away. BUT, you'll need to clean the kegs, sanitize the poppets and dip tubes, before filling them up. Then make sure the O-ring in the lid seats fully, and don't forget to purge the O2 out from the top of the keg once you have it filled and sealed...

Remember:
RDWHAHB

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #25
Brent1992
Recipes 

No head may have more to do with residual soap left in the glass. Give your glass a good rinse in hot water and let it air dry. Sure if that helps.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #26
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I seem to be learning more from mistakes made in later batches than my firsts. Check out my thread about high FG in the yeast topics. Thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply