Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bottling/Kegging (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/)
-   -   Ever keg your bottled beer? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ever-keg-your-bottled-beer-257214/)

sivdrinks 07-16-2011 02:47 PM

Ever keg your bottled beer?
 
Going on six weeks in the bottle with no carbonation. It's a honey wheat, not sure why but I think it just dropped a ton if yeast in secondary resulting in super low carb. So I was thinking about opening what's left and kegging. Thoughts!

Sea 07-16-2011 02:49 PM

It would be nearly impossible not to introduce a ton of oxygen, and ruin the beer, but if you aren't gonna drink it anyway, give it a try.

HoboBrewery 07-16-2011 02:59 PM

I once spilled 3/4 of a smack pack while pitching it into a Witbier. I just left it alone for 3 months and it recovered. I agree with the post above that says you'll likely oxidize the hell out of that beer. I had once considered popping bottles and hitting each one with a carbonation tablet but left it alone and it recovered. Move onto the next batch and forget about this one for a few months.

MalFet 07-16-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sivdrinks
Going on six weeks in the bottle with no carbonation. It's a honey wheat, not sure why but I think it just dropped a ton if yeast in secondary resulting in super low carb. So I was thinking about opening what's left and kegging. Thoughts!

If you are confident that you put in the right amount of priming sugar, give it time. The amount of active yeast you need to effectively carbonate a beer is extremely low.

sivdrinks 07-16-2011 03:13 PM

Coopers carb tabs. There's bubbles when swirling but no head.

MalFet 07-16-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sivdrinks (Post 3091351)
Coopers carb tabs. There's bubbles when swirling but no head.

How many tabs per bottle? Did they fully dissolve? Is there sediment at the bottom of the cold bottles?

Does it have a carbonated mouthfeel? Carbonation and head are only partly related.

sivdrinks 07-16-2011 03:41 PM

One per bottle. They usually dissolve in a day or two. Very little sediment at the bottom, a dusting maybe. Feels slightly carbed in the mouthfeel. I turned them upside down and gave em a flick the other day to see if that helps, I'll try another tonight.

MalFet 07-16-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sivdrinks
One per bottle. They usually dissolve in a day or two. Very little sediment at the bottom, a dusting maybe. Feels slightly carbed in the mouthfeel. I turned them upside down and gave em a flick the other day to see if that helps, I'll try another tonight.

If you are getting some carbonation, you've got active yeast. How are your storage temps? What gravity beer?

Golddiggie 07-16-2011 04:42 PM

How long are you letting them chill before pouring into a glass?

I have a brew-buddy that had a batch take about five months to carbonate. He just tried one a month until it was finally there. So, as already stated, just give it time and you should be fine. The only way you could have zero chance of carbonation is if the yeast was at it's alcohol tolerance level when you bottled, or didn't use any priming sugars/solution/tabs at all. Since it sounds like neither was the case, just give it time in bottle, and time in the fridge when sampling.

I would check every few weeks, or month, moving forward. Chill the bottle for a full week before you open and pour...

sivdrinks 07-16-2011 04:53 PM

In fridge about three weeks now. Lots of wasted beer due to sampling. Another advantage of kegging I guess.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:10 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.