Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Equipment to start kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
taa800
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Equipment to start kegging

I just bought a refrigerator to store kegs so I can start kegging my beer. I wanted to have 2 kegs on tap at one time. I'm wondering what equipment I need to do this. I realize I need 2 kegs, a co2 tank and regulator. What else do I need? What's the best way to set this up? Are there kits to buy all of this at a good price? I've reviewed the stickies, but couldn't find specifics on what I wanted to do.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
BirdmanBrewingCo
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey taa800,

This is what you want if you just want to dispense with picnic taps inside the fridge: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-ki...dard-homebrew/

But if you are willing to spend a little more, you can get this that will dispense through the door with shank faucets: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-ki...idge-homebrew/

Thanks
Birdman

www.birdmanbrewing.com
401-400-BREW (2739)

Facebook BirdmanBrewingCompany

BeerSmith 2.1 just $21.89 every day!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you want to keep two kegs on tap, I'd suggest owning three or four kegs but you can start with two.

You'll need a co2 tank (can be kept in the fridge if it's a 5# or 10#), a regulator, and some lines. You can use "picnic" taps, or you can buy some faucets and shanks and go through the door eventually. You'll need some lines, too.

To keep it simple at first (you can always add more stuff later- it's easy!), I'd suggest:

a co2 tank (5# is ok, but a 10# will last longer between fills, unless you have a leak!)
A regulator. A single gauge is fine, but some people like to have different pressures for different kegs. I'd go with the single for now.
A T fitting (or a WYE) for the kegs. I like the ones with valves so you can turn off the gas to one keg.
Make sure you have check valves installed, so you don't inadvertently ruin your regulator.

Then, to dispense, you need one black quick disconnect for each keg/line. You'll need one cobra tap (picnic tap) and 8-10' of beer line for each.

For the gas, you'll need one gray quick disconnect for each line/keg and the line from the "T" or "WYE" at the regulator. The gas line just has to be long enough to reach the kegs, but I like mine a little longer so I can pull the kegs out still connected to the gas. I think they are about 5'.

I think that's about it!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
taa800
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you want to keep two kegs on tap, I'd suggest owning three or four kegs but you can start with two.

You'll need a co2 tank (can be kept in the fridge if it's a 5# or 10#), a regulator, and some lines. You can use "picnic" taps, or you can buy some faucets and shanks and go through the door eventually. You'll need some lines, too.

To keep it simple at first (you can always add more stuff later- it's easy!), I'd suggest:

a co2 tank (5# is ok, but a 10# will last longer between fills, unless you have a leak!)
A regulator. A single gauge is fine, but some people like to have different pressures for different kegs. I'd go with the single for now.
A T fitting (or a WYE) for the kegs. I like the ones with valves so you can turn off the gas to one keg.
Make sure you have check valves installed, so you don't inadvertently ruin your regulator.

Then, to dispense, you need one black quick disconnect for each keg/line. You'll need one cobra tap (picnic tap) and 8-10' of beer line for each.

For the gas, you'll need one gray quick disconnect for each line/keg and the line from the "T" or "WYE" at the regulator. The gas line just has to be long enough to reach the kegs, but I like mine a little longer so I can pull the kegs out still connected to the gas. I think they are about 5'.

I think that's about it!
Thanks Yooper. Where is the best place to get all of this? Are there any kits out there that would have all of this?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Aspenextreme
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I got my stuff from beveragefactory.com. You can get a kit or buy the stuff all la carte. They were great and fast shipping.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
taa800
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenextreme View Post
I got my stuff from beveragefactory.com. You can get a kit or buy the stuff all la carte. They were great and fast shipping.
Is there any place that has a good picture or diagram of all of this?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Keg connection was very helpful and set me up great. Even spent some time on the phone with me to trouble shoot an issue

Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

That first link from Birdman looks good. I'd want longer serving lines than it comes with, but it's a great start. You definitely want the check valves and the WYE for two kegs.

Quick Reply