Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bottling/Kegging (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/)
-   -   Equipment for commerical keg? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/equipment-commerical-keg-342544/)

ipopiad 07-20-2012 02:09 AM

Equipment for commerical keg?
 
I found a 7.75 gal commercial style keg at a garage sale for $18, so of course I bought it. The problem is, I only have the equipment for Corny kegs. What additional equipment do I need, and where do I find it? My LHBS doesn't have any of it. I did a quick Google search but I don't know the differences in this style of keg.

I also noticed that it has a wooden bung. Is there somewhere I can buy these, or would the silicone ones work?

JediSpam 07-20-2012 05:51 AM

A picture would help a lot dude

ipopiad 07-20-2012 06:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the keg:

Attachment 68988

And here's a picture of the connection

Attachment 68989

The keg has G. HEILMAN BREWING COMPANY stamped on the top, if that helps

SavoryChef 07-20-2012 06:48 AM

That was my old neighbor that took it from me and sold it to you. Send it back and we are all good.

ipopiad 07-20-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavoryChef (Post 4265264)
That was my old neighbor that took it from me and sold it to you. Send it back and we are all good.

What makes you think it's yours?

JuanMoore 07-20-2012 08:24 AM

That would be an old Hoff Stevens keg. Check e-bay for a cheap used coupler. The wooden bungs are pretty easy to find, try kegworks, amazon, e-bay, or several online kegging and homebrew shops. Never seen silicone ones, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

ipopiad 07-20-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanMoore
That would be an old Hoff Stevens keg. Check e-bay for a cheap used coupler. The wooden bungs are pretty easy to find, try kegworks, amazon, e-bay, or several online kegging and homebrew shops. Never seen silicone ones, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Would the coupler work with my regulator? Or would I have to buy a new one? If that's the case I might just use it as a fermentor or something, I'm not looking to spend a lot of extra money on it

JuanMoore 07-20-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipopiad (Post 4266012)
Would the coupler work with my regulator? Or would I have to buy a new one? If that's the case I might just use it as a fermentor or something, I'm not looking to spend a lot of extra money on it

Yep, the gas hose connects to the barb on the side of the coupler. Since Hoff Stevens stuff is so old, a new coupler will cost a small fortune. If you search the classifieds here and e-bay you should be able to find a used one for ~$10. You may need to replace the o-rings on an older used one though, and the figure 8 o-ring usually runs $5-$8.

ipopiad 07-21-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanMoore (Post 4266283)
Yep, the gas hose connects to the barb on the side of the coupler. Since Hoff Stevens stuff is so old, a new coupler will cost a small fortune. If you search the classifieds here and e-bay you should be able to find a used one for ~$10. You may need to replace the o-rings on an older used one though, and the figure 8 o-ring usually runs $5-$8.

Awesome, thanks for the info.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.