Ebay'ed Kegs--Yes or No

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whelk

Reaction score
I've noticed there are a ton of really cheap kegs on Ebay and I was considering buying some. I'm a newb and have never kegged my bear though, so I was nervous about spending money for the wrong thing. I know I need ball lock (right?), but how tough is it to sanitize? Does it really matter if the kegs are used? Should I steer clear of Ebay altogether?

I've bought all of my kegs used on ebay. When you get them, fill them with hot water & oxyclean and let them set for a couple hours, then rinse thoroughly. That should get all of the old soda nastiness out. It's also a good idea to disassemble them completely (posts, dip tube, etc) and replace the o-rings.

I had to wait about a month to actually get mine... That was over the holidays and I paid for the cheapest shipping and they came CA to NY. They were cleaner than I expected and came with orings. To clean and "rebuild" four kegs took me about 4 hours in total. They were about $25 each shipping included. Compare that to kegs from AHBS costing roughly $42 each. How much is your time worth?

If you email the guy directly you can save the ebay fees. [email protected]
(I'd say go for it.)

i believe there is a seller right now selling 4 pin lock kegs for 80 shipped. hold on, let me find the seller...

actually, the auctions have already ended, but the seller is: dianah5331, so keep a watch out. i believe they also had ball lock at some point.

Go with ball-locks (Pepsi style).

Watch out for shipping costs. The new thing is to sell something for $10 and then tack on $50 for shipping.

www.homebrewing.org has them for $18 a piece. I've bought about 10 kegs from them. The sales support folks are nice and corrected a shipping problem with few questions. You might call them before placing your order to make sure they have kegs in stock.

bummerkit said:
how do you fit a bear in a keg... :drunk:

Coax it with beer!

Whelk said:
I've noticed there are a ton of really cheap kegs on Ebay and I was considering buying some. I'm a newb and have never kegged my bear though, so I was nervous about spending money for the wrong thing. I know I need ball lock (right?), but how tough is it to sanitize? Does it really matter if the kegs are used? Should I steer clear of Ebay altogether?

Here are kegs from $15-$18 a piece.

Good luck,
Wild

I ordered a whole 3-keg setup that includes 5# tank, 3 kegs, 2 gauge regulator and all the fixin's from www.homebrewadventures.com. I think it came to $160 or so. The kegs were in great shape, smelled like pepsi when I opened them but came with some pressure, so I new they were good. Took me about 3 hours to figure it all out and get my first keg batch kegged.

Adventures in homebrewing is the only place I buy from anymore. My LHBS charges 25 bucks for single handled with bad o rings, I buy from www.homebrewing.org and they send me the double handles with free o rings. Greatest deal going right now. I too had a great experience with the sales staff.

Here are kegs from $15-$18 a piece

I ordered 2 of the $18 ones on 1/23 they came in today, looking good ( some dents )
As Ernist would say
they' re " Hot,Fast, add Cheep" Vern:D

they have a shipping calculator. just add as many as you want to see how much shipping is for. then put in your zip code.

Back