The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dumb Keezer Q of the day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Dumb Keezer Q of the day

Ok, I'm dumb I know, but I need to ask - obviously everyone is controlling these freezer chests with a temperature control, right? Ok, my question, I have an old side by side fridge, I have a temp control on it on the fridge side, but in order for it to work at all the freezer side has to be on... even on the LOWEST setting the freezer is still below freezing, I think it's like 20 degrees... Now I realize the temp control which is in the fridge half is controlling THAT zone.
So, my stupid question is, and obviously the answer is yes, can you use a freezer chest with a temp control as a fermenter and/or a server... obviously yes... so I guess all those freezer coils around the cabinet only have to work like 1/10th of their capacity to keep the chest at 65, but it is doable right? And then lagering or serving/carbing at 40, still well above freezing, this is all ok for the freezer chest? I suppose it would last a lot longer... I dunno, for $350 home depot has a 14.8 cuft. one that is VERY tempting...

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Yes. The only thing the temp controller does is keep the unit from operating. So, once temp is met, the temp controller cuts the power to the unit. I regularly adjust the temp of my freezer between 60F and 35F and never had an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply