Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Double checking on process

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
Cregar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Double checking on process

Wanted some advice to make sure I kegged correctly.

My ESB finished fermenting about a week ago. I decided to keg it today. It fermented at 65 degrees.

Going off my software it says I should carb it with approx 1.2 vols of co2. The calculator say that equals aprrox 6.5.psi.

So I racked the ESB into the keg(everything is sanitized) locked the lid down and hooked up my co2 line. Put some pressure in the keg then purged it... did that a few times. Finally brought the pressure up to approx 6.5 psi. Stuck the whole thing back into my chest freezer which is still at 65 degree.

1. Did I do the process correct?
2. How long do I leave it like that till its ready?
3. Do I need to adjust the pressure anymore (depensing)?

Thanks for any advice.

Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

1. I don't have a clue, but you are doing what I do, except I use 4.5 PSI at 68F. (See 3 below).
2. I do 4 weeks in primary, and at least 2 weeks in the keg. Usually 4 - 6 weeks in the keg, but that's just because I don't want to run out of beer.
3. Even after fermentation has apparently completed, it still ferments very slowly (especially after kegging, which rouses the yeast). I usually have very little head space in the keg, and any additional pressure builds very quickly. I give the keg a quick burp once a day to relieve excess pressure, and if the burp sounds flat, reconnect the CO2 for a few seconds to restore the pressure.

-a.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

4.5PSI @ 68F seems a LOT low.
I keep my Keezer at 10PSI, and 33F ( I know I know, we keep pop on tap too), and I have really good luck with that. I do hit a keg with 25 - 30psi initially and take it to the 60F Basement, then Burp it and hook it to live 10PSI when it goes in the freezer. I try to have it cold for a week before I Hook up the liquid Line.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
4.5PSI @ 68F seems a LOT low.
I keep my Keezer at 10PSI, and 33F ( I know I know, we keep pop on tap too), and I have really good luck with that. I do hit a keg with 25 - 30psi initially and take it to the 60F Basement, then Burp it and hook it to live 10PSI when it goes in the freezer. I try to have it cold for a week before I Hook up the liquid Line.
From Pale Ale - Classic Beer Style Series - Terry Foster - second edition.

"English draught bitter should be served at 1.0 - 1.5 volumes (of CO2), preferably towards the lower end of this range."
"Note that none of these tables shows as low as one volume of CO2, which requires less than 5 lbs per square inch of applied pressure"
"It might take days to come to equilibrium with the applied pressure"
From http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com...rbonation.html
4.0 PSI at 68F = 0.96 volumes of CO2
5.0 PSI at 68F = 1.02 volumes of CO2
For me, this is perfect, but I grew up appreciating what you would consider to be warm flat beer.

-a.

Quick Reply