Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > does it matter what kind of yeast to pitch @ bottling time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
TacoGuthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default does it matter what kind of yeast to pitch @ bottling time?

I've got an ale I made with Nottingham. It's been in the secondary a while and I added Gelatin so I would like to add some dry yeast to ensure good carbonation.

Does it matter what kind of dry yeast I use? I have some packets I probably won't use for brewing that I'd rather use here than a s-05 or Nottingham (which I dont have any more of anyway?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
RickWG
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie View Post
I've got an ale I made with Nottingham. It's been in the secondary a while and I added Gelatin so I would like to add some dry yeast to ensure good carbonation.

Does it matter what kind of dry yeast I use? I have some packets I probably won't use for brewing that I'd rather use here than a s-05 or Nottingham (which I dont have any more of anyway?

What's a long time? I don't think it will matter. I have secondaried (Now it's a verb) a "long time" and never repitched. whatever ya got would work safeale or somesuch

Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You didn't ask, but I'd be very surprised if you need to add yeast for bottle conditioning. In the event that you do, unless you have a very high gravity beer, the type of yeast won't matter.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Unless it's sat like a year, there is no need to pitch more yeast at bottling.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

It's only a 1.055 beer and has been in the secondary a little more than a month.

I had planned on adding yeast because I have been reading how gelation will clean up some of the yeast the corn sugar would normally use to carbonate.

I am not that experienced with Gelatin but the beer I am drinking now is the first time I used it and it is much less carbed than previous batches when I didn't use Gelatin.

It doesn't seem like more bottle conditioning time is improving carb as it is now 5 weeks in the bottle and there is no change in my beer since 2 weeks.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
I

It doesn't seem like more bottle conditioning time is improving carb as it is now 5 weeks in the bottle and there is no change in my beer since 2 weeks.
Wait, is it in SECONDARY or is it in the bottle? I'm confused by your answer.

If it's in the bottle, what temp are you storing them at?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

Sorry to be clearer I have talked about two different batches.

Batch 1
- I am drinking it now.
-Been in the bottle 5 weeks.
-Used Gelatin in secondary.
-Not as carbed as I would like it to be or as much as previous batches using same amount of corn sugar.
- Bottles are stored around 65F

Batch 2
-Is in the secondary right now and has been for over a month.
-Gelatin has been in secondary
-Will be bottling this weekend.
-I want to add yeast to improve carbonation lost by yeast eating gelatin.

Does that help clear up confusion Revvy?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry to be clearer I have talked about two different batches.

Batch 1

- Bottles are stored around 65F
This is the reason the bottles aren't carbed to your liking.....5 degrees may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to the yeasties. Your beers need to be above 70 to carb effectively. I can understand why at 5 weeks they're not carbed to your liking yet....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees+, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Mover them to a warmer spot, agitate the bottles to rouse the yeast, and give them a couple more weeks.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

You don't need to add more yeast at bottling, you need them warmer that you have them, and they yeast will do their jobs just fine.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

Those are good tips Revvy.

I'll move the bottles for the first batch and probably skip the yeast for the second. I'm more a fan of keeping it simple anyway.

Quick Reply