The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > does fast force carbonation = green beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
treemind
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default does fast force carbonation = green beer?

I wonder why so many people would want to carbonate really fast in a keg?

Won't the brew taste green and not be fully conditioned only a few days?

I am just starting kegging, my first batches are in bottles... and have taken a while to condition, they tasted OK at three weeks in bottles but get better every week after.

How is it not the same with Kegging? If the same standards apply, then why would anyone want to do anything but the slow steady carbonation method in a keg, thus allowing the natural conditioning a brew will need to taste finished.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Force carbing green beer will result in carbonated green beer. Force carbing conditioned beer is fine, provided you give it a little time for the newly-formed carbonic acid to balance with the rest of the beer.

I force carb in a keg usually 5 weeks after brewday, but don't drink it until 6 weeks.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 04-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
treemind
Recipes 

A longer Primary/secondary time in this case is a good idea then?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's at least how I do it.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No extra time in fermentation needed.

You just need to remember NOT to skip the 'conditioning' phase. Just because the beer is carbonated does not mean it is ready to drink.

When you bottle and 'carbonate naturally' this 'carbonation phase' is also serving the function of giving the bottled beer time to mature. Kegged beer needs the same care. Heck, even bottled beer that is fully carbonated often needs an extra week or 2 to mature before the green taste goes away.

Forced carbonation allows you to send the beer off to storage at full carbonation for its 'conditioning' phase. It does not do anything, really, to shorten the time it takes to make good beer. (It arguably makes it take fewer manhours for the production procss--- but the time from wort to finished beer remains pretty much the same)

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Any 'extra' secondary time (bulk aging) does count as conditioning. Conditioning doesn't have to occur in the keg/bottle.

I"m lazy about going from secondary to keg, for this reason. I have sound racking practices, and CO2 blankets the carboy's headspace. An extra week or 2 in secondary is 1-2 weeks sooner to drinking time!
By the same token i don't rapidly force carb, again to enforce patience in aging (I'm not a patient man)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
treemind
Recipes 

cool, thanks for the info!

My first kegged brew is slow force carbing in a 55 F garage at 22 psi... Its been carbing in the garage about 10 days now while i set up my new freezer. I am getting a Johnsons temp regulator tomorrow. I hope to chill my new brew over the next few days to 38 to 40 degrees and pull the PSI back to 9 or 10, then check taste it this weekend. However I am not sure if 14 days slow force kegging will be enough conditioning to make it ready for drinking just yet. I May have to sit on it a while longer.

I am just trying to find a good balance with this aging process. I know that many say it's faster in the keg, but I doubt it will be that much faster in the long run. Just a lot more easy due to the simple means of ONE keg vs. so many freaking bottles!!!

no matter how you slice it, life with "beer on the way, a corney keg set up, and a keezer being built" is a good life!!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Any 'extra' secondary time (bulk aging) does count as conditioning. Conditioning doesn't have to occur in the keg/bottle.
Agreed-- not all conditioning has to happen in the bottle.

However, beer does change again once carbonated so even 'conditioned' beer that is force carbed will need some time before the final product state is reached.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob View Post
You just need to remember NOT to skip the 'conditioning' phase. Just because the beer is carbonated does not mean it is ready to drink.

When you bottle and 'carbonate naturally' this 'carbonation phase' is also serving the function of giving the bottled beer time to mature.
I am beginning to get my head wrapped around this. I only have one batch kegged so far so it is all new to me.

My plan with the next batch is to naturally carb in the keg at room temps, them throw the keg into the kegerator after a month or so. Hopefully this will give both the carb and the conditioning enough time to work.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Some people hit a keg with a quick shot of co2 to seal the keg after transferring from Primary/secodary, then store it (some people have kegs and kegs and kegs just sitting waiting around for rotation). For this situation, the beer is already aged when they burst carb it for ~30 hours to serve.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply