Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Does bottle size affect carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Robusto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Does bottle size affect carbonation?

Hi all-
I’m new to all this home brew stuff (but have been a life long beer lover). I am getting ready to take the plunge and brew up my first batch, but I have a bottling question. Does the size or shape of the bottle affect the time, amount, or quality when it comes to carbonation? I have about 60 Grolsch swing top bottles that I have been saving up. They are 16oz I think. However, storing 50 something bottles in the fridge could be challenging. The bigger bottles could be nice. I have seen 2 liter “Growlers” that might be nice, but then I would have to find some thing to do with 2L of beer…. Hummm, 2 pizzas?

Thanks for the help-

Fred

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I get the feeling that they may have some effect. I know that when i tried to do a calculation for priming my 5 gallon keg that it used about half the sugar that I would use if I were bottling in 12 oz bottles.

In your case though 4 oz difference is going to have little to no effect on the amount of priming sugar. 1 oz/gallon of beer. I suspect the same goes for the 2 liter growlers as well.

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

3 weeks minimum @ 70 degrees, regardless of bottle size. If you plop those bottles in the fridge, it's going to take longer for them to carbonate properly.

As an aside, growlers aren't meant for long term storage- the glass can't handle the pressure and can explode.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I notice that my 22's and 16's take longer than my 12's, I usually bottle a couple of 6'ers of 12's for competitions and tastings alongside my usual pints, and the 12's are done at least a week before the others...I figure it just means that the yeasties have more to eat through...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I notice that my 22's and 16's take longer than my 12's,
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.
Finally, the answer I was looking for!!!!!!

I knew it from my own bottling experiences but wasn't sure why!!!

Thanks BK.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Robusto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default wow. thanks

thanks for the quick replies. So, if I have this correct, the 12oz bottles will carbonate faster? I know that I need to be patient, and I will be, but it would be nice to have a few samples to "test". he he he

Old 08-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Ok, that makes sense. But why does Beersmith call for about half of the sugar for priming in the keg for a batch vs priming in 2+ cases of 12 oz bottles?

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Quick Reply