Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Do I need two regulators?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Do I need two regulators?

I just my whole set up, and I'm on day three of force carbonating my first keg (pretty exciting stuff!). I'm getting ready to start kegging my second beer which is just now done fermenting. I only have one regulator, so if I completely disconnect beer one from the gas, will it be alright so long as I don't release the pressure? If I get a second regulator can I have one carbonating at 15 psi, and one pressure for dispense at 8? I do have a splitter so that I can dispense two kegs at once, but I don't think I want to be dispensing @ 15 psi! Look out dog!

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

It all really depends on how you "engineer" your system.

If you want to carb at differing pressures but do not want to mess with having to disconnecting and re-set the guage then yes 2 or more regs will achieve that luxury ( ).

I might suggest you look at a low pressure in-line guage for that. They are pretty cheap compared to the high pressure reg that connect to the bottle.

As far as dispensing pressures. There are different methos for that. Many wil carbonate at a high pressure to get it done quickly and then back the pressure down for dispense.

Others, me included, calculate the temp, pressure, and line resistence in a way that will allow the pressure to stay constant but put enough resistence in the lines to minimalize foaming.

See www.micromatic.com "Balancing a Direct Draft system" for details.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply