Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Do I have to Remove labels??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
DansBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do I have to Remove labels??

Call me lazy, call me impatient, both are slightly true! I have a $hit ton of empty bottles from vacation from the likes of Sam Adams, and Hoe. Most have their labels on them. Some fell off in the cooler. I have run into some notoriously difficult label glue during prior bottle cleaning sessions. I have come to ask myself this question: Do i really have to remove these damn labels? I got lazy last bottling and scratched the name off of them so I know ones I bottled at quick glance. Is there a scientific reason to remove them? I figure with enough use, they will eventually come off, but to spend minutes on each, does it matter?

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

i suspect you already know the answer to your question.

obviously, the beer tastes better when the outside of the bottle is spotless.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
wormfishin
Recipes 

As long as they don't start to get dirty you won't have a problem with it, I wouldn't suggest sharing bottles with the old label though, I think it gives a bad impression.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ha ha ha, boy does it. For me it is just kind of perfectionism that drives me to label strip. I just use one of those rubbermaid tubs filled with hot water and a liberal amount of oxyxlean and leave it overnight. the labels and glue on most bottles just melt off, the ones that don't take no more than 15 seconds to "scrub" or they just go in the recycling.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansBrew View Post
Call me lazy, call me impatient, both are slightly true!
You are a candidate for kegging.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
skiingimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatchable View Post
ha ha ha, boy does it. For me it is just kind of perfectionism that drives me to label strip. I just use one of those rubbermaid tubs filled with hot water and a liberal amount of oxyxlean and leave it overnight. the labels and glue on most bottles just melt off, the ones that don't take no more than 15 seconds to "scrub" or they just go in the recycling.

This. I keep an old cooler full of oxyclean water in the back of the garage. Whenever I get bottles with labels on them, I just toss 'em in the oxyclean cooler, when it starts to get kinda full, I take all the bottles out and get 'em cleaned up for use.

*this is disgusting and everyone who comes to my house is grossed out, so you might want to just soak bottles when you have a full cooler and then dump out the oxyclean*

Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
bensyverson
Recipes 

I have some label-less bottles I use as "giveables," and some with labels that I drink. I certainly don't care if a bottle has the wrong label on it, but I wouldn't hand it out that way.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
DansBrew
Recipes 

Lol thanks for the expedient responses. I have some that are absolutely spotless( I also bought 2 cases of 22oz for the VIP handouts.) Harpoon brand has been very hard to get off, I used a putty knife and the best I could do was scratch the white gunk under the soaked off label. Some are sheer personal use, thats for sure. I'll try the Star san soak, and see if that helps. I have a little more time than I thought... My american brown is still at 1.020... My main wonder/concern was whether or not leaving labels on can screw up sanitizing... Like label and or glue gunk getting inside a bottle from soaking them in sanitizer. The answer is probably yes, but I figured I would feel out the experts!

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #9
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At first I didn't remove labels at all...then I got anal and removed every label on every bottle....realized what a pain that was and now I just soak them, and pull off the label. If there is residue, or a white patch I don't care. Sam Adams labels come off easy with a nights soak. I don't scrub anymore.
Labels are like a drunk woman's clothing, it will come off eventually given enough use

Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
DansBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Labels are like a drunk woman's clothing, it will come off eventually given enough use
FANTASTIC!!

Quick Reply