Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Do I have a broken regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Ale to the Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do I have a broken regulator?

I am brand new to kegging and just got the system I got for Christmas set up. I am worried though that my regulator may not be functioning correctly. I am using the 'set and forget' method to carbonate my beer and have the regulator set to 12.

I check on it throughout the day and notice that it will lose a few psi every few hours. Also, when I pour a sample glass the pressure drops down and doesn't come back up. Should it shoot back up to 12 right away or does it take some time?

THanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
jtd_1
Recipes 

I know this sounds very simple, but are all your connections open? I.E. Cylinder valve, shutoff after the regulator? Just something to check.

Joe

Old 01-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Is the beer at temperature yet? Pressure will drop as it gets colder.

or have you checked for leaks with StarSan or soapy solution?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Ale to the Chief
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd_1 View Post
I know this sounds very simple, but are all your connections open? I.E. Cylinder valve, shutoff after the regulator? Just something to check.

Joe
I will double check but I am pretty sure. What's weird is that if I pull the relief valve on top to release all the pressure from the keg, the regulator will kick on and bring it back up to pressure. But if I pour a beer, pressure will drop from 12 to 9 or so and then not raise back up.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Ale to the Chief
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Is the beer at temperature yet? Pressure will drop as it gets colder.

or have you checked for leaks with StarSan or soapy solution?
Yes, it's been in the fridge for 3 days now and yes, I sprayed all connections with Star San and didn't see any bubbles.

The reason I thought it might be the regulator is because even if I had a leak, if the regulator is working correctly it should just keep pumping in gas to keep it where I have it set, right? So I would run out of gas quicker but should still maintain a steady pressure.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

sounds like the diaphragm is kicking in after a certain drop in pressure (like 3 or 4 psi diff.) that you don't reach that often. turn it up a few psi, and "test" the system again.

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Ale to the Chief
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonk View Post
sounds like the diaphragm is kicking in after a certain drop in pressure (like 3 or 4 psi diff.) that you don't reach that often. turn it up a few psi, and "test" the system again.
That could make sense. So you are saying that it won't add co2 until a certain amount of pressure has been lost?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
So you are saying that it won't add co2 until a certain amount of pressure has been lost?
That's the way regulators work, but the decrease in pressure to activate should be a fraction of a psi, not 3-4 psi. Something is definitely wrong with the regulator.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know the 1st time I put a tank and reg in the fridge , the setting take a few days to adjust. If you've only set it to 12psi once before you put it in the fridge, I would adjust it again (now that its cold) to 12 psi and see if that fixes your problem.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
Idlehanz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've noticed the same problem with mine. I have a brand new regulator and am carbing my first keg. I've had it set to 30 psi for the last 27 hours or so, in a fridge at 38 degrees. I checked it about three hours ago and it was still at 30 psi. I just went out again to check it and the psi was at 20. For some reason, it dropped 10 psi in about 3 hours. I checked the keg for leaks when I first hooked it up and saw nothing. I've turned it back up to 30 and hopefully it will hold. Any idea's on why it may have dropped so drastically in the last 3 hours?

Thanks!

Quick Reply