Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Do higher pressures carbonate faster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
copela
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do higher pressures carbonate faster?

I'm wondering if beer carbonates faster at higher pressures, or if the CO2 dissolves at a constant rate no matter what the head pressure?

Does anyone know the science behind this?

I work at a homebrew shop and we have been having a debate on this. Some of the folks here have been turning up our regulator to about 35PSI to carbonate one beer, but we have splitters feeding up to 4 or 5 kegs at a time so they all end up getting overcarbonated.

They think the beer will carbonate faster, but I think the gas diffuses at a constant rate, and this just ends up overshooting the target carbonation level. I understand about gas dissolving more at lower temps and all that business. But I think the gas would diffuse into the beer at whatever level is dictated by the temp and the gas content of the beer. Can someone tell us if this is right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

higher pressure will carb faster...Ex: if i set it and forget it at 12psi it takes weeks. at same temp if i set at 30psi for 48hrs then purge and set to pour psi...perfect in 2 days...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
copela
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply goose. But I have also had beer carbonate at 12 psi within a few days. I usually use about 12psi, and the next day there are light bubbles but not much, but then by day 2 or three we are drinking it with (at least close to) normal carbonation.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I've never had beers carb up at 12 psi in three days. Never. It takes about 10 days before I get a bubbly beer.

Now, at 30 psi for 36 hours- I have a carbed up beer. If I'm in a real hurry to drink a beer, I stick it in the kegerator at 30 psi overnight, check it the next day, and see. If it's close, I purge and turn it down to 12 psi. Usually, though, it takes about 36 hours. It's fully carbed in that time for certain. Then I purge and reset to 12 psi.

Really, it would be better for my system to leave it alone at 12 psi and just come back in a week. I just can't seem to help myself- I just want to sample it way too early!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copela View Post

Does anyone know the science behind this?

I work at a homebrew shop
Go pick up a copy of Principles of Brewing Science and read the appendix on draft beer.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by copela View Post
I'm wondering if beer carbonates faster at higher pressures, or if the CO2 dissolves at a constant rate no matter what the head pressure?
As others stated, yes, higher pressure yields more dissolved CO2 in a shorter time period. But, surface area, agitation, and temperature also dictate how fast and how much CO2 the liquid will absorb.

Think about a soda machine - it operates at 100 psi and uses a high liquid-to-gas surface area to rapidly carbonate room temperature water as it passes through a ~2 gallon tank. If the incoming water was at, say, 38F, you could lower the pressure to ~60 psi and still produce the same level of carbonation in the same amount of time.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 04-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I too never get full carbing at 12psi until at least 7-10 days.

Higher pressure and lower temps will increase gas solubility in the beer (faster carbing). it also becomes way too easy to over carb. That's why I just set it and forget it (but I don't drain kegs very fast either, so I have the luxury)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't get full carbonation at set and forget pressures for nearly 3 weeks. The carbonation difference between week 2 and 3 is probably .5 volumes, but it confirms that rate of absorption is not linear. Rate of absorption is proportional the delta between the partial pressure between the head space and the gas dissolved already. Long story short, 40psi will hit 2 volumes about twice as fast as 20psi.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Tags
carbonation, overcarbonation, pressure

Quick Reply