Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Do carbonation tabs require yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
rich8932
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do carbonation tabs require yeast?

I've been having difficulty bottle carbing and I am quite sure that it's due to lack of yeast remaining when I get to bottling. I tend to prefer lagers and always transfer to secondary so I'm thinking that I'm not getting enough yeast into my bottles to carbonate. Is it possible that a 3 week lager at 38 degrees kills most of the yeast or am I just not sucking enough off the bottom of the carboy? One thought I had was using carbonation tabs but if they require yeast I'd be in the same situation. Does anyone konw? All other threads I've read don't address this point. As always thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
NickN72
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The tabs still require yeast. The yeast is what does the carbonating in every method other than force carbonation. The tabs are just a measured about for each bottle.

What temperature are you keeping the bottles after you bottle your beer? 3 weeks of lagering shouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If you're transfering over to secondary you are leaving behind some yeast. When you lager, you'll crash out even more yeast. Most people that lager either force carb or add more yeast when it's time to keg/bottle.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What about leaving an ale in the primary for 3 months? The yeast cake is sooo tight. I kegged it, but wondered about bottling next time. Seems like the yeast would be dead or settled...?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
If you're transfering over to secondary you are leaving behind some yeast. When you lager, you'll crash out even more yeast. Most people that lager either force carb or add more yeast when it's time to keg/bottle.
Some people do, but not nearly "most". How much sugar are you using? I wonder how long/what temp these bottles have been stored at. Also, what kind of bottles, because if they are screw-offs and you don't pay attention it can be difficult to get a good seal?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredben View Post
Some people do, but not nearly "most".
+1 I don't add yeast to lagers before bottling and have never had a problem with the conditioning. Considerable yeast will remain in suspension even when the beer appears to be very clear.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4466 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
+1 I don't add yeast to lagers before bottling and have never had a problem with the conditioning. Considerable yeast will remain in suspension even when the beer appears to be very clear.
Correct. You can lager a beer for a couple of months and still have plenty of yeast for carbonation.

I assume that you're keeping the bottles at a warm temperature, and not lagering temperatures. I just wanted to check, because several people have complained of lagers not carbing up, but they were keeping them cold. They can go up to 70 degrees to carb up, just like ales.

If bottle carbing is still a problem, then when you bottle you can add about 1/3 package of dry yeast to the cooled priming solution, and stir well, and then rack the beer into it. Nottingham is good for this, since its' so neutral and makes a nice compact yeast cake when it's done.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
rich8932
Recipes 

I have consistently used about 4-5 oz of primer sugar and never twist off bottles. It sounds like my problem might be the temps I'm keeping them at. I typically keep them in the high 40's or low 50's to carb. I'll try moving it up to room temp and see what happens. Thanks for all the great advice.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8932 View Post
I typically keep them in the high 40's or low 50's to carb. I'll try moving it up to room temp and see what happens.
Bingo. 70-75 will give you the fastest results, but mid 60's should get the job done too since your house in WI might only be that warm.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Bingo. 70-75 will give you the fastest results, but mid 60's should get the job done too since your house in WI might only be that warm.
Yes, you do have to warm them up. If you're STILL having issues I would consider adding more yeast. It's possible that there's plenty of yeast after lagering, but, adding a small amount of yeast will up your chances and not hurt anything if done correctly.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply